36+3 and getting adrenaline surges

(3 Posts)
EagleRay Mon 11-Apr-16 12:53:48

Hi - I'm 36+3 with DC2 and this last trimester has been somewhat challenging! In the last few weeks the house has been partially direlict due to building work (I wanted it finished by now but it started later than planned) and have also been in hospital with swine flu (am ok now but only just, after 3 weeks of illness).

So baby nearly due and life feeling slightly chaotic. Am coping by pacing myself and trying to prioritise tasks. I have an ELCS booked for 3 weeks today but am trying to work towards a 2 week timescale, just in case! Am 44yo, no other risks but am measuring a bit big, which makes me a bit nervous on top of everything else.

Anyway, today I've been getting what I can only describe as adrenaline surges - feels pretty unpleasant as have lots to do but kind of feel like I'm on a rollercoaster. Doesn't seem to be linked to my state of mind/anxiety - it's just there.

Have done a quick google and it does seem to be linked to imminent birth. Can anyone reassure me that it might be my body 'gearing up' but not necessarily the baby trying to get out any time soon? I can just about cope as long as I know I'm not going to go into labour this week. DC1 was born at 40+10 btw. No other obvious symptoms but baby does seem to have assumed the head down position...

CityMole Mon 11-Apr-16 13:23:03

hello lovely, I'm just about a week ahead of you and I have just this morning emailed DP to say that I feel overly 'buzzy' today. It's similar to what you describe, and a little like I've had too much caffeine. I wonder if it's a hormonal high/ low level anxiety? I am pretty much organised on the home front (crib and pram assembled, baby clothes laundered, hospital bag packed) BUT I don't finish up work till Friday and am up to high doh about getting stuff done in time.

Hopefully somebody who has been through this can come along soon and reassure us that our waters aren't actually about to go, and that we still have 2/3 weeks to go in either case!!

Do you feel recovered from your awful flu now?
Any other twinges?

EagleRay Mon 11-Apr-16 13:33:11

Oh hello CityMole - was just thinking about you this morning and trying to remember how much further ahead you were and whether you were doing ok!

It's funny - when I had DD I had the fear of induction so was willing her to come from pretty much this point forward, but because I have the ELCS booked and a terrible lack of readiness this time, I actually feel the opposite and need every single one of those 21 days remaining.

It's definitely a caffeine-type feeling isn't it! It doesn't seemt to be linked to any anxiety I have as think I would be getting it more often if that was the case. Well done on getting all the baby stuff ready - I've been sorely lacking but did manage to buy post-natal pants yesterday, and a few extra baby clothes and have bought some hospital garments on Ebay which should be here in a day or two. Cot has arrived although has been assembled rather wonkily and is currently serving as a workstation for all my building site paperwork.

Flu thing is pretty much better thanks now, but only just - it took forever to feel normal again. And no other twinges really apart from a slightly weird corkscrewing feeling as if the baby is trying to burrow her way out confused

I hope this last week at work goes ok for you (it sounds like you have a very responsible job) and also hope you get some resting time before the baby comes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now