Reassurance needed - ELCS on Monday

(12 Posts)
milkyman Fri 08-Apr-16 16:47:46

Scared - have read stories on here that sound awful. Terrible forceps birth last time!

Alex83 Sat 09-Apr-16 07:41:09

Hi, I had an ELCS 3 weeks ago after a traumatic birth experience first time around. It was a great experience and very healing after last time. We did have to wait around all day until it was out turn but once we got going it was all done within an hour or so and I was in recovery breastfeeding DS...in fact we were only in recovery about 20 mins and then straight down to the ward.

The spinal really doesn't hurt at all, I was quite anxious about that but it was honestly fine. I was treated with kindness and dignity the whole time (covered with s sheet etc) and I got to hold the baby as soon as he'd been weighed and checked.

Is there anything that's particularly worrying you?

WellErrr Sat 09-Apr-16 07:46:08

You'll be fine.

I've had two EMCS. Everyone is lovely, it'll be very calm and nice. It doesn't hurt, it just feels uncomfortable, as it's an odd sensation - you can feel the pulling etc but no pain.
And from first cut to baby coming out is usually around 3/4 minutes. The rest takes 30-40 minutes, but you have a baby to distract you!

Recovery is fine, just take your meds, do your breathing exercises, and rest.

Try not to worry. I know it's scary though - I cried going into my second with fear and I'd had one before! It was fine though I was laughing at myself afterwards.

Imnotaslimjim Sat 09-Apr-16 08:08:08

My ELCS was a very calm, positive experience

I was extremely concerned about the spinal so the anaesthetist cam and talked me through it which really helped

I was in theatre for 9.15 and back on the ward for 11. There was complications during surgery (placenta wouldn't come away) but the whole team were extremely calm, no sign of any panic. I didn't know until afterwards

Tell them that you're concerned, they'll understand

milkyman Sat 09-Apr-16 11:08:47

I think it is the recovery that is worrying me.

megletthesecond Sat 09-Apr-16 11:19:56

Recovery really isn't too bad as long as you take it easy. You may feel shaky and sicky later in the day, IIRC it's the anaesthetic wearing off. But as long as you take all the pain relief offered and get yourself propped up in bed you shouldn't feel too bad.

One you're home stay in pj's and rest. Minimise visitors and aim to take it easy for a month. The less I did the better my recovery was.

LuckySantangelo1 Sat 09-Apr-16 11:23:55

Hello! I had a great recovery. Had an Elcs last year and was discharged 24 hours after. Yes I was only walking at a shuffly pace but I could manage stairs fine & get in and out of bed no problem. Stay on top of your pain killers and make sure you stay mobile (albeit slowly!). I was out having a walk with the pram after a few days. Most people I know who have had sections have had similarly quick recovery times. Please ask if you have any more questions

gasbird Sat 09-Apr-16 11:36:20

Recovery is fine as you have baby as a distraction so don't have long to think about yourself
Good luck

Floralnomad Sat 09-Apr-16 11:39:58

I had an ELCS for my second after a terrible experience with the first and it was fantastic - if I could do it all again I'd have had 2 sections - I do thing the recovery depends on how you approach it , I approached it as I'm having a baby not I'm having fairly major surgery and I'm sure that helped - I was pretty much normal within 2/3 weeks .

Alex83 Sat 09-Apr-16 11:42:50

As others have said, recovery really is fine. I was up and having a shower after 6 hours, went home after 24 hours and managed the long walk to the carpark no problems. Really try to do very little for a month, even if you start feeling better. I'm 3 weeks post ELCS now and feeling fine although clothes still rub my wound and I'm not leaving the house too much yet, though keeping busy in the house. I have a toddler as well as newborn and have managed them both ok on my own this week. The most annoying thing about it all is the not driving!!

Dangermouse80 Sat 09-Apr-16 19:09:55

Two elective c sections, both great experiences, actual procedure no pain. Stay on top of pain relief in recovery and it is no more discomfort than having a period. Both times back to the gym at 12 weeks.
Top tip is to take it really easy for first 8 weeks, I was up mobile around the house but no housework or going for walks for 6 weeks. It is worth going easy on yourself to make sure you heal well smile

Bringiton2016 Sat 09-Apr-16 19:16:43

Mine was fine. You'll be done in an hour! I had a very rough first 24 hours and got a morphine injection. Then after that the recovery was very fast. The reasons were the anaesthetic made me feel horrible, and the pain was horrendous afterpains as second child, so I guess that would have had those after a vaginal birth too.

Didn't last long. Absolutely nothing to worry about. All the best!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now