Lochia heavier and bright red again at 3 weeks - normal?

(8 Posts)
HJBeans Sun 27-Mar-16 22:16:35

Just that, really. Three weeks postpartum with a section. Lost a lot of blood during the birth and uterus didn't contract properly. Lochia was never too heavy, had standard tapering off and changing of colour and the past week or so hardly any at all. Tonight went for a wee and lots of bright red blood in the toilet and on wiping. Not soaking though a pad (though keep going to the loo to check and always lots to wipe away) but worried about this and wondering if I should be. See lots of people have this with increased activity, but have had less activity today than many previous days. Not sure whether it's a ring to maternity triage tonight or a ring to GP or HV tomorrow thing or if it's just normal.

Junosmum Mon 28-Mar-16 07:03:32

Keep the pad on for an hour and see how much blood is there. Does it look like a normal period amount, because it could be- rare, but it is known to happen.

Junosmum Mon 28-Mar-16 07:05:03

Does it smell normal? Are you otherwise well? Any fever? If not it's probably normal or period, if yes, it could be an infection

HJBeans Mon 28-Mar-16 08:37:54

Lighter than full-blown period. Could be early day period, I guess, but would be really surprised as I'm BF and didn't get my period back for a year with my first son. Smells normal, no fever.

BettyBi0 Tue 29-Mar-16 15:49:12

Mine got heavier and lighter then heavier again for over 6 weeks. I'd say if it's still lighter than a normal period and you are only 3 weeks post birth then it sounds pretty normal. Are you taking it easy enough? I found that my bleeding always got worse when I was overdoing things

motherinferior Tue 29-Mar-16 15:56:57

I think you should get it checked out. Ring maternity triage. It shouldn't be increasing again at this point - it probably isn't anything to worry about but worth finding out.

HJBeans Tue 29-Mar-16 20:44:06

I took it very easy yesterday and it's calmed down again today. Spoke to the HV today and she said no harm in seeing GP but that if there was no smell or fever and I was feeling well it was probably normal. Baby has been feeding like nuts, which she said can bring on note bleeding. I'm reassured it's gotten lighter again - presumably haemorrhage or infection wouldn't ease off this way.

motherinferior Wed 30-Mar-16 08:41:47

Ah yes, feeding will do it - it's your uterus tightening up. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now