Antenatal care and birth options with a rectocele?

(8 Posts)
GoodEggy Sat 19-Mar-16 09:34:27

Will they be different, i.e no home birth and consultant led or will it not make any difference?

pinguina16 Sat 19-Mar-16 21:12:57

Hiya! Could we have a bit more background please?
Have you given birth before?
What is the cause of the prolapse if known?
What medical professionals said so far?

There's another thread about birth with a prolapse just a few threads down. Very specific case but any relation to your story?

pinguina16 Sat 19-Mar-16 21:14:33

Sorry forgot. What symptoms if any do you experience now?

GoodEggy Sun 20-Mar-16 07:21:39

Thanks Pinguina, I'll look out for that thread.

This will be my 3rd baby. The prolapse happened during the delivery of my 2nd baby - big baby short labour and delivery. I've had no treatment yet. I was told there's no point until I've finished having babies.

Symptoms are mild. Unnoticeable most of the time, the only time it's apparent is when I go to the loo. Makes me hopeful that it won't affect anything but I don't know if standard procedure changes if there's a prolapse?

pinguina16 Sun 20-Mar-16 08:08:11

I don't think your choices are affected per say. I know women who have suffered a severe tear can discuss having a planned c-section for second delivery.
My view is that pelvic floor dysfunction is the elephant in the room. All healthcare professionals know about the impact of pregnancy and childbirth on the pelvic floor and yet the only thing that's recommended is daily pelvic floor exercises (which is good advice). But why aren't all first-time expectant mothers seeing a woman's health physiotherapist to ensure they're doing the exercises correctly and be taught how to do perineum massage to lower the risks of severe tearing? (I'm being black and white to keep it short-some antenatal class teachers do strongly advise perineum massage but again why is this not systematic and on the NHS when it can improve women's health?). And after birth, why aren't we systematically seeing physios to make sure our pelvic floor is in tip top shape? (lack of money I know but also a deep rooted cultural attitude that keeps urinary/anal incontinence and sexual dysfunction taboo).
All I'm saying is that because it looks like there's no different procedure for someone with a rectocele doesn't mean there's no potential for more damage.
Hope that's helpful.

pinguina16 Sun 20-Mar-16 08:14:33

I always wonder how the deliveries of professional sportswomen are managed?

GoodEggy Mon 21-Mar-16 19:02:33

I think one of the main reasons we don't talk about it is because we don't talk about vaginas full stop. Vaginas are dirty, smelly, yucky and embarrassing so they're ignored. Even though 50% of the population has one and of that 50 % a huge amount will sustain some degree of birth injury we'll just not talk about it because it's shameful and gross. The poor old vagina has huge stigma attached and as for a broken one?! Put that horrible thing away and never speak of it again! We're very Victorian in a lot of our attitudes really. Anything below the waist and above the knee is unmentionable.

I will very definitely be mentioning mine to my midwife when I get to see her though! I guess it's just a case of waiting and seeing what they suggest.

mayhew Tue 22-Mar-16 19:41:40

As a midwife, I would expect
- if there are no other issues, you would have the full range of choices available to low risk women
- I would offer an appointment with an obstetrician who would probably reassure you that a normal delivery is a likely outcome. However, in the unlikely event of a tricky forceps delivery, the threshold for caesarean would be low. Your own feelings/ fears are important when considering elective caesarean.
- I would also offer appointment with physio to review that pelvic floor exercises are being done as well as possible to protect your pelvic floor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now