After pains

(11 Posts)
KLHL777 Tue 15-Mar-16 22:38:25

Hi ladies,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of being prescribed something other than standard painkillers to help them cope with after pains?

I don't remember feeling any after pains with my first born, then with after having my 2nd the pain was excruciating! I managed the labour and birth on g and a but the after pains had me crying! I breastfed too, which I know makes it worse . I'm now 23 wks pregnant with baby number 3 and I know they're supposed to get worse each time so I'm pretty terrified! With my last one I was eating paracetamol, my DH was genuinely worried I was going to overdose! I would like to breastfeed again, and I know that limits what drugs you can be given....

Any advice would be great!

MrsBenWyatt Wed 16-Mar-16 19:41:20

I had DC3 two weeks ago and the after pains when I was breastfeeding were horrendous for a few days.

I was discharged with only paracetamol (even though I'd had a section confused) which didn't touch the sides of the incision pain plus after pains.

If I had my time again, I'd ask for something stronger, but in was in shock that they were only offering paracetamol post-section and I was desperate to be discharged!

I had codeine at home, which was more effective, but I'm still not sure how I didn't OD!!

KLHL777 Wed 16-Mar-16 20:28:40

Thanks! I will ask my Dr about it at my next visit, I just wanted to know if it was totally unheard of or if there was something stronger out there. I can't wait to meet my new baby but the thought of those pains again, maybe worse....fills me with fear!

Sixinabed Wed 16-Mar-16 21:03:00

They gave me codeine for the after pains from dd4. Good luck, horrendous as they are the baby is worth it grin (slightly cheesy grin)

Wolfiefan Wed 16-Mar-16 21:04:51

I had awful after pains with DC2. Crying but couldn't make a noise.
I mentioned it to the mw later and I think she said she had given gas and air before to help.

PissPotPourri Wed 16-Mar-16 21:15:23

I've had significant after pains with both my DC, and have dc3 due in three months. After dc1 I was so scared of them that my DH prepped the mw on duty who gave me a pessary as soon as she finished stitching me up. After that I was on a constant two hour rotation of paracetamol and ibuprofen. It still hurt like hell and due to duration was arguably worse than birth for me.
One mw and my hv had never heard of after pains though and were completely perplexed, even checking me to make sure placenta was completely removed.
Really not looking forward to the same again but as pps have said, baby will be worth it.

NickyEds Fri 18-Mar-16 22:29:57

Paracetamol and ibuprofen were what I was told to take with dd, though the mw did say that I should feel free to take the full recommended dose for both of them so I was constantly topped up. I was shocked by the strength of the after pains, they really were awful, especially during my let down.

Comeonnn Fri 18-Mar-16 22:40:35

I went to the GP before baby arrived(around 30 something weeks I think)and asked to prescribe something strong that I could take whilst breastfeeding.Mw put it down on my notes and I took it with me at the hospital,took first tablet straight after giving birth.first day or two still had to top up with paracetamol which I too took with me as pain relief at the hospital was slow.had very bad after pain already with the first(which is uncommon,lucky me lol)

KLHL777 Fri 18-Mar-16 23:58:49

Ooh that's interesting, do you know what was prescribed?

Have appt with Dr next week so hopefully he'll be onboard.

Clobbered Sat 19-Mar-16 00:01:23

I found afterpains weren't so bad with my third. You may get lucky!

Comeonnn Sun 20-Mar-16 13:16:20

It was Naproxen. It's safe for breastfeeding. They weren't to keen to prescribe anything but did give in after I insisted.good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now