has anyone been given a csection early due to mental health?

(9 Posts)
hurtandconfued2016 Thu 25-Feb-16 15:49:55

We bit of background I am due to go in in Tuesday to have a csection. But I am struggling so much with my mental health!
Bit of background Ex left 7 weeks ago for ow I have a 2 year old with him too. I have been struggling so much I have no excitement about the birth if anything when I think of it I don't want it to happen!! I have no excitement about meeting her and can't face all the trouble that will come when she is born! The past 3 days I have not ate really and not stopped crying and dreading it.
Has anyone been given a section due to mental health?

PirateSmile Thu 25-Feb-16 15:53:12

Sort of...My first was an emergency section. When I was due with my second there was a lot of stuff going on with DP's health and I advised I was at high risk of PND. I agreed to a second section. I was fine and didn't suffer any mental health issues.

I hope you're ok hurtandconfused It sounds like you been treated very badly and I hope the new baby brings new hope.

DamnCommandments Thu 25-Feb-16 15:54:37

Do you have real life support? Someone to be with your toddler? Someone to be with you? Things are bound to seem bleak, but you can get through. flowers

Tell your midwife what you're feeling - she'll be able to help you access mental healthcare and also practical support like Homestart or equivalent.

hurtandconfued2016 Thu 25-Feb-16 16:06:49

I have spoke to my midwife and waiting on mental health department phoning but it's been 3 weeks now and still nothing.
I have had to move out of our family home because he was being unbearable and I moved into my parents.
My parents have a lot going on with my mum going thru cancer treatment and stuff. They have all been great supports but it's still not the same they are all excited about the baby and that where is I am not excited in any way.
As for the toddler I have had to go to a lawyer to try and organise contact with his dad for 3 days a week but that's been nearly 2 weeks and still not heard anything from that!

originalusernamefail Thu 25-Feb-16 16:14:38

Is your section this Tuesday coming? I don't know about a section on mh grounds but I'm afraid that it would probably take a few days to organise at the least and that would take you up to your expected date anyway. Sorry you're going through all this OP thanks

hurtandconfued2016 Thu 25-Feb-16 16:24:08

Yeah it's this Tuesday but I'm literally at the end of my tether with everything my poor son has no idea what's going on and I'm struggling to keep my smile on my face at all

strangerjo Sat 27-Feb-16 18:45:10

Sorry to hear about your situation. I have a c section planned for Wednesday and have tried everything to bring it forward for mental health reasons (also I'll be only a day off my due date!) But I've been unsuccessful. You're nearly there though! Good luck x

RedToothBrush Sun 28-Feb-16 12:49:48

I have had a CS on mental health grounds for anxiety. Despite this, they would not have done it before 39 weeks (I was booked in for 39 weeks) unless there was a serious medical reason (which includes mental health) for doing so as there are more risks to the baby with regard to breathing.

For them to bring forward your date, this close to your booked in date, they would have be believe that you were at serious risk of something happening to you or your baby. To put it bluntly, you were at risk of harming yourself unless there was a physical need to carry out a CS earlier. If this is the case, then you need to be going to the hospital and telling them that you need emergency help, in order to get the proper mental health support you need. The chances are, you'd probably find in those circumstances they would still be unlikely to carry out the CS then and there and would be more likely to admit you as a mental health patient and still carry out the CS on your booked date.

TBH, I'm not sure that when you have the CS is really your issue here. If you are struggling in the way you are now, having the baby a few days earlier is not going to resolve the issue. Its just that the baby arriving proves a focal point for all the stresses and strain you are under now. The babies arrival isn't necessarily going to be the end of that, and may indeed compound problems.

You do need to talk to someone. Share how you are feeling with your family. Even if they do have stresses of their own, they need to know.

Chase up with a midwife about the mental health thing tomorrow.

Make sure they are aware that you have been really struggling this week when you go in, so they can keep an eye on you and maybe chase up / make you more of a priority with that mental health appointment if the midwife has not already done so.

Hang in there.

mayhew Tue 01-Mar-16 14:59:02

Good advice Red!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now