4 weeks post partum, now wet myself after orgasm!

(8 Posts)
hannahbanananana Thu 11-Feb-16 15:45:01

I had my son 4 weeks ago and each time I've orgasmed since (not through penetrative sex.. definitely not doing that for a while!), I've wet myself. And not just a little bit, I've fully emptied my bladder. Luckily I was on my own blush, I daren't tell my partner and now so worried it will happen when we eventually have sex. I do my pelvic floor exercises each day and I don't have this problem any other time when coughing or sneezing etc. I was induced, but had a very straight forward birth, no instruments, no tears and I was only pushing for 15 mins. I don't know what to do, I darent tell anyone, I am so embarrassed!

Callthemodwife Thu 11-Feb-16 15:50:07

I would say keep up the pelvic floors and give it a bit more time. 4 weeks really isn't very long. I'm 12 weeks pp and only just starting to feel anything like approaching normal now. I think 9 months of pregnancy throws out your expectations of what a 'normal' body feels like. Maybe raise it at your 6 week check and if it's still happening after a few weeks then see your GP again. I know it's shit, I'm pretty sure I have a prolapse after this most recent birth and I was mortified to speak to DH about it but he was great and we're just starting to have a bit of gentle sex now. Do try not to worry too much yet!

Kelsoooo Thu 11-Feb-16 15:56:01

Are you sure its urine and not female ejaculation?

hannahbanananana Thu 11-Feb-16 16:03:03

I'm pretty sure it's urine, but could be wrong. This has never happened before that's all, only since giving birth. There is so much of it and it smells like urine too confused

pinguina16 Thu 11-Feb-16 16:14:57

I'm really sorry.

4 weeks is early in terms of pelvic floor exercises. It usually takes around 3 months of regular exercise to start seeing benefits.
Personally I wouldn't wait to see the GP. What you're experiencing is definitely not normal but also extremely distressing. Do go and explain what is happening (they've sadly probably heard it before) and ask to see a women's health physiotherapist or be sent to a pelvic floor clinic (it depends what services are available where you are). The physio will most probably make you do intensive pelvic floor exercises (series 5 to 6 times every day + fully relax afterwards- I would recommend you do this until you see a physio). The referral might take several weeks (4 in my case-I suffered faecal incontinence after birth-different problem, horrible and horrifying).

I realise this is not much comfort but hopefully knowing how to get help will help a little. A big hug.

pinguina16 Thu 11-Feb-16 20:27:54

Tried to remember how I felt postpartum and realised the wait to see someone would could tell me more about my problems (ie physio) was agonising.
If you can't see someone quickly enough or GP can't answer your questions, I'd try calling the Bladder and Bowel Foundation. Without giving you a diagnosis they might be able to give you some pointers as to what treatment might involve, possible outcomes and length of treatment.
www.bladderandbowelfoundation.org/bladder/bladder-info-and-advice/

I'm really sorry you're facing this. flowers

hannahbanananana Thu 11-Feb-16 20:54:24

Thanks pinguina, will definitely make an appointment with my GP and check out the bladder and bowel foundation.

So sorry to hear what you went through. Sorry to pry, but did your problems resolve with treatment? I'm so worried that this is going to be permanent x

pinguina16 Thu 11-Feb-16 21:51:23

A long story (a lot of it in bits and bobs on various threads), stuck baby eventually delivered by forceps.
Starting point: faecal incontinent, difficulty passing urine (no catheter required), prolapsed bladder and uterus, unbelievable coccyx pain (didn't drive for 15 months), too tight entrance of vagina because of scarring, severe PND.
2 years on: no incontinence issues, just need to wait to make sure bladder is fully empty, prolapse still here so can't run nor jump (or do high impact sports - I call that being firmly glued to the ground) but no more feeling of a bulge in vagina (found that absolutely horrid), coccyx pain depends on how and what surface I sit on and how long for (this is for life now, I have to manage it), had surgery 18 months postpartum to remove perineal scar tissue (sex still sore but getting better and should carry on improving overtime), off antidepressants and feeling fine.

I'm sorry I don't know enough about your specific problem (I know of it because the colorectal department asked me to fill in a very detailed questionnaire about my symptoms and I vividly remember the shock I felt when I read the question "Do you leak urine when you have sex?") but so early after birth, generally odds tend to be in your favour. 86% of women who suffer from urinary incontinence see their problem resolve during the 1st year after birth. 60 to 80 % of women who sustain a severe tear (3d or 4th degree tear) don't have symptoms a year after birth.
I should also explain that at this stage no one (GP or physio or urogynae) will tell you if you will fully recover. I found the uncertainty very hard to deal with personally. My understanding is that your body needs to completely heal and your muscles to build up strength again and that takes a very long time (1 year, sometimes longer). That's why contacting the Foundation might be helpful. They won't be able to tell you if you'll recover completely but they should be able to give you an idea of what to expect in the coming months and maybe offer support.

I wish I could give you more certainties than that. Maybe another poster will come along and know more than I do.
A big hug.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now