homebirth and remaining confident in choices

(9 Posts)
kienstra33 Wed 10-Feb-16 06:25:49

I had a successful homebirth with my first and am currently 36.5 weeks pregnant with second. I feel very confident about having a calm birth but when I'm trying to relax/meditate I keep getting intrusive thoughts about the babies safety. I'm quite intuitive so worry it's my mind trying to 'warn' me of danger. In my rational brain I put this down to normal fears and concerns.

Just wondering if anyone else gets paranoid like this at the end of pregnancy and if it is more common in homebirthers as they are going against the norm? Would be nice to know I'm not the only one and my fears are normal!

TIA X

Chattymummyhere Wed 10-Feb-16 20:08:37

Like you I have had a nice easy homebirth already and I am planning a second currently 33w3d.

I've always been quite a pessimist and even with my daughter up until she was born at home I kept saying to dh that I wont be able to do it, I will be transferred in or induced etc

I think its natural to worry the closer we get regardless of where or how we are having our babies

kienstra33 Wed 10-Feb-16 20:25:36

Thanks for the reply, I think so too. Getting them here safely feels like a huge responsibility and I guess when it's so close it becomes very real. Just wish I could stop these niggling worries - getting up for the loo and then having pregnancy insomnia really doesn't help confused

Chattymummyhere Wed 10-Feb-16 20:30:15

ah good old pregnancy insomnia really is a pain, the thoughts and strange dreams when I do finally get to sleep is the stuff of nightmares.

That's it labour makes pregnancy look like a doddle but its that everything rests on us as the mother to get it right so to speak where as dad just gets the holding part and we are all told to blindly do as the doctors say even if that's not always right

MooPointCowsOpinion Wed 10-Feb-16 20:31:51

I felt the same with my last home birth and actually said in labour when my progression stalled that I knew this would happen, and I had thoughts of dying in an ambulance with my child. Horrible.

But I laboured wonderfully actually, I just needed to tilt my hips slightly to let my giant baby out, she whooshed out as soon as I moved.

I believe in my intuition, but I think my anxiety overruled me there in a fairly scary situation, and I'm glad I stayed at home.

kienstra33 Thu 11-Feb-16 12:55:30

Thanks both - so good to connect and not feel alone in my choices. My husband listens but doesn't understand if the way other women do. I also think guys don't share their fears as they don't want to worry us more! Did some mediation in my birthing space last night which really seems to restore calm smile

ispymincepie Thu 11-Feb-16 21:56:08

I feel the same way. There is always a risk in childbirth so it's natural to worry but you've done your research and know that homebirth is the safest option for you and your baby. Good luck!

ispymincepie Thu 11-Feb-16 21:57:13

There's a nice pregnancy relaxation downloadable for free on the Daisy Birthing website

kienstra33 Fri 12-Feb-16 16:30:56

Thanks ispy will check that out as am looking for more things to listen to during birth xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now