What does a c-srction scar look like?

(24 Posts)
milkyman Mon 25-Jan-16 14:19:53

Do you end up with a kangeroo type tummy afterwards?

Nosnowjustrain Mon 25-Jan-16 14:21:36

I've had two (one emergency and one elective ) and you can barely see the scar at all.

ZadokTheBeastie Mon 25-Jan-16 14:22:10

it just looks like a scar. very low down, bikini line. Not sure what you mean by kangaroo-type? it might be a bit less firm than before, but I think that varies from person to person.

Wardrobespierre Mon 25-Jan-16 14:23:13

There are as many scars as there are women who have had sections. Google images may help?

By kangaroo do you mean a pocket shape? If so, no.

Mine is a thin silvery, almost invisible line well below the hair line. It's around 3 or 4 inches long.

Snoopadoop Mon 25-Jan-16 14:25:33

I'm not sure what you mean by kangaroo like. It doesn't look like a pouch. It's a straight line across the top of the bikini line. It's just like any other scar. Slightly raised and white, about 9cm long. I had emergency c section 6 years ago.

KittyandTeal Mon 25-Jan-16 14:26:35

Sorry to gatecrash, I know nothing about c sections but am considering an elective this time around.

Do lots of women get the skin overhang type tummy? If so is it easy or virtually impossible to get rid of?

camelfinger Mon 25-Jan-16 14:31:09

It's lower down than you think. I've had a couple of people ask to see it blush - I think they're picturing a long vertical scar! It's pretty amazing how small it is when I think that two babies came through it. My tummy isn't great but I think that's down to being too big in pregnancy rather than the c section. If I didn't have such a stretched tummy I'd probably be fine in a bikini.

GlitteryFluff Mon 25-Jan-16 14:34:02

Scar's thin, low down, hardly noticeable, as hidden under a pouch of flab! I was 18st when I had DS though, if you're slim I don't think you'll get it. I'm 14.5st at mo and still have it, (need to keep losing weight) I don't think it'll ever go though tbh.

Snoopadoop Mon 25-Jan-16 14:39:04

kitty I have no overhang at all, but I'm quite slim. I can imagine if you are larger then you might?

bonzo77 Mon 25-Jan-16 14:44:28

I have a small overhang. I'm right in the middle of my ideal bmi range, and didn't get that big while pregnant. I've had 3 sections and the overhang got a little worse each time. I think it'll go down a bit more, baby is not yet 5 months. Honestly, it's not even that obvious in a bikini (I've worn one recently).

wonkylegs Mon 25-Jan-16 14:48:37

I'm slim (well when I'm not pregnant) and my scar was virtually invisible after a year. No overhang, and because I'm pale and it's a white scar beneath the bikini line it was barely visible, you wouldn't know I'd had one unless you were specifically looking hmm
Hoping the second one will stay as neat.

Wardrobespierre Mon 25-Jan-16 14:48:50

The overhang isn't necessarily to do with being overweight. I'm a slim and toned size 8 and have clear abdominal definition. I also have an overhang. It's because the skin and tissue was stretched and then stitched tightly. It won't go without surgery.

You can have an overhang after vaginal delivery too.

They get better with time. I don't really care about mine tbh.

ifgrandmahadawilly Mon 25-Jan-16 14:51:09

Mine is a very thin silver line. You can barely see it. I do have the pouch though.

Iwonderif Mon 25-Jan-16 15:00:49

I've had 3 sections in 4 years. Last one 6 years ago in June. It's silvery coloured now. Smooth but in places no feeling as the nerves get damaged. I'm slim with a fairly toned tum but the bit above the scar is slightly flabbier. But it's so low down so my pants hide it. I think it's personally what your own skin is like to begin with.

milkyman Mon 25-Jan-16 15:31:49

Thanks all - i guess i meant do you get a pouch?

evilgiraffe Mon 25-Jan-16 17:26:53

I had an EMCS, the scar is 6-7 inches long, 0.5-1 inch or so above the hairline. It's barely visible, very slightly raised, and there's no overhang/pouch. My belly DOES have something of a wobbly overhang, which is more down to my being a lardarse (before/during/after pregnancy) than the section...

Iwantakitchen Mon 25-Jan-16 17:29:12

No overhang here and I am not slim so to speak. Scar below the hairline, very neat and hardly noticeable I've had tho c sections both emergencies.

dementedma Mon 25-Jan-16 17:31:29

3 sections. Scar is hardly visible. A bit bumpy to the touch. I do have an overhang but am about a stone overweight which doesn't help.

Only1scoop Mon 25-Jan-16 17:35:41

One section a tiny line but is literally invisible now....when I have my bikini wax my therapist comments that it's dissapearedgrin

I am by no means skinny but don't have that pouch thing going on.

mrsvilliers Wed 27-Jan-16 11:29:27

I've had two sections, no overhang after the first, but a pretty bad one after the second. Scar is still red and raised in places two years on. No feeling in the area apart from pain if a child sits on me wrong and lying on my front still makes me feel ill. I can't escape the feeling that they stitched me up wrong second time round... Why are you asking OP?

WtfWasThis Wed 27-Jan-16 15:56:08

I have an overhang sad although I'm a bit on the plump side at the moment. It doesn't actually hang over anything, it's just droopier and a bit wrinkled. The actual scar is mostly just like a crease except for a small part which is slightly raised. There are about a thousand things I would change about my body before I'd get rid of the scar tbh - I feel quite badass having a scar. The overhang on the other hand would be top of the list!

KittyandTeal Wed 27-Jan-16 16:00:16

Sounds like it's possibly down to surgeon and how your stitched as well as other factors.

I am was pretty toned before this pregnancy, my last 2 have been vaginal births but I am strongly considering an elcs this time around. I've got loads of time to consider it, if I even get that far. Thanks for the replies, sorry to high jack

anxious123 Thu 28-Jan-16 08:10:34

You can barely see my scar - not even 2 years on and its been like that since about 6 months post section.

Roomba Thu 28-Jan-16 08:27:16

I've had two, and 3.5 years after my last one all you can see is a very very thin silvery line. You can't really see it except if I shave all my pubic hair off - the couple of people who have seen it er, intimately, since have both said they'd never have spotted it if I hadn't mentioned it. If you examine it really closely you can see it is actually two scars together as one is slightly longer than the other. I am fairly average weight - not overweight or underweight. BMI is 23 I think.

That said, when I had my first c-section it was a real mess at first. I developed a haematoma around it, it was infected and all burst open... I remember crying as I knew no one would ever want to have sex with me ever again looking like that, I couldn't imagine how I'd ever look normal again! You could barely see it a few months later, so don't panic if you see photos of new scars.

And no, I do not have a pouch, though that could have been quite handy? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now