Queens Hospital Maternity Unit

(10 Posts)
Espey Sat 23-Jan-16 21:52:23

Has anyone had any recent experience of Queens Hospital Maternity Unit? And the Neonatal care there? And the facilities?

I have heard some awful stories and reviews about the care people have received and am unsure whether to have my baby there.

Please help

goodnightdarthvader1 Sat 23-Jan-16 21:58:59

Queens where? There must be a lot of hospitals called Queens!

Espey Sat 23-Jan-16 22:14:50

Sorry, Queens in Romford, London!

goodnightdarthvader1 Sun 24-Jan-16 11:01:29

My old stomping ground smile I'd recommend using the below pages to choose your ideal hospital.

You can find info on facilities and birth stats for Queen's midwife led unit and the labour ward here:

www.which.co.uk/birth-choice/units/RF4QH-ou-the-labour-ward-queens-hospital-romford

www.which.co.uk/birth-choice/units/RF4QH-amu-the-queens-birth-centre-queens-hospital-romford

Patient stories with the keyword "birth" can be found here:

www.patientopinion.org.uk/opinions?nacs=RF4QH&tag=birth

strangerjo Tue 26-Jan-16 13:40:21

I know that hospital well. It does have one of the worst reputations. I've only had bad experiences there. I've not used the maternity services but I know someone who did and had a bad experience. If it were me, I'd avoid it. But then you might get lucky and have a great midwife or obstetrician. You could always try it and change if you don't like it.

FirstTimer32 Wed 27-Jan-16 23:30:42

Ok thanks.

I'm thinking about using The Oaks Clinic for antenatal care and delivery, so would have my own obstetrician, but would still be in the hospital.

Not sure how much that would make a difference. I'm so new to this and the decisions seem so difficult, so early on!

PerspicaciaTick Wed 27-Jan-16 23:34:53

I have heard that Queens has improved no end since it's lowest point. However, the QCQ;s inspection report from July 2015 makes uncomfortable reading.
www.cqc.org.uk/location/RF4QH/inspection-summary#maternity

strangerjo Thu 28-Jan-16 00:30:15

I think if you have your own obstetrician and are low risk, you'll most likely be absolutely fine. You could always try it and see how you find the care you receive. To be honest, I'm at uclh which is meant to be great but I've had bad experiences. It often comes down to how good the midwife/doctor is and you might have a wonderful experience. Remember that you can always change. Good luck.

goodnightdarthvader1 Thu 28-Jan-16 09:19:13

Thanks for that link, PerspicaciaTick, very useful - used it to check out my own hospital!

Lucy90 Thu 11-Feb-16 17:58:32

I had DD at queens in Romford in January 2015 and honestly I can't fault them, absolutely fantastic from start to finish

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now