40 weeks - period pain each night, gone by morning

(21 Posts)
Blerg Sun 17-Jan-16 06:22:21

I'm 40+4 and this is second DC. Each night, around 3/4am I have moderately bad period pain and then by morning it has gone and I feel basically nothing all day.

Anyone had this? What the deuce is happening? I went to 17 days over (long induction) with DD and didn't experience symptoms like this. Really hoping to start naturally this time.

winchester1 Sun 17-Jan-16 06:25:44

I had that and started after a few nights but unfortunately I don't think it's a sure sign the baby is on the move.

BeeMyBaby Sun 17-Jan-16 07:02:59

Well as it sounds like bh, my midwife suggested it was the baby trying to get into position, but is maybe just slightly at the wrong angle for birth.

thisismypassword Sun 17-Jan-16 08:01:31

I had this for 2 weeks. Gave birth 40+1

TheCatsMeow Sun 17-Jan-16 08:03:37

I had this but it was severely painful. In my case it was a back to back baby that couldn't engage properly and a stop/start labour. Get checked

MYA2016 Sun 17-Jan-16 08:24:47

I also had this for 4 nights and my baby too was back to back. It was totally missed though. I would go to bed with period pains that would keep waking me up all night and then it'd go by morning.
On my due date I had a sweep and asked the doc about baby's position - he said he couldn't tell but if it was back to back it'd turn in labour.
Well within 6 hrs I was in full blown labour and only had pain in my back the whole way through which was actually absolutely hideous. I ended up having an emergency section too. If possible push to check baby's position as back labour was incredibly difficult :-(
I hope things start for you very soon x

TheCatsMeow Sun 17-Jan-16 08:38:50

I ended up with a c section too, so definitely get the position checked. Back labour is awful and often gets missed!

SnozzberryMincePie Sun 17-Jan-16 08:45:37

This sounds like my early labour with dd. She was also back to back. Pain every night just bad enough to stop me from sleeping then it stopped in the morning. In my case it only lasted for two nights then on the third night I went into full blown labour. Good luck!

Blerg Sun 17-Jan-16 11:15:26

Thanks all. Sorry to those with back labours or c sections. That was why my induction took forever last time I think.

I've been doing lots of optimal fetal positioning and MW says baby is in good position so hopefully it isn't that.

SnozzberryMincePie Sun 17-Jan-16 16:55:15

Fwiw my back to back labour wasn't any more painful than my 'normal' one, it just took longer. Good luck!

Blerg Sun 17-Jan-16 17:18:46

Good to hear Snozberry - was it your second?

SnozzberryMincePie Sun 17-Jan-16 20:28:53

No, my first. My second was the 'right' way around and my labour was much better in lots of ways - quicker and less stressful, but I don't honestly think that there was much difference in how painful the contractions were.

Blerg Sun 17-Jan-16 22:23:54

Ah, I see, thank you!

Runningupthathill82 Mon 18-Jan-16 07:45:01

How are you doing, OP? I'm 39 weeks and having exactly the same thing - period pain every night that then vanishes.
It feels nothing like my back to back baby pains with DS, which were all in my back, if that's any reassurance. But everyone's different!

Blerg Mon 18-Jan-16 12:10:56

Hi Running! Weirdly didn't have it last night - so frustrating! Feel like induction is inevitable...

How did your first labour start?

Runningupthathill82 Mon 18-Jan-16 12:42:57

First labour, I'd been for a long walk and, on the way home, started getting horrendous backache which made me double over and grab the park railings as I waddled along.

Got home and the backache was getting worse, as was a constant urge to poo. So I got into a hot bath and started googling "back pain, 40 weeks pregnant, is this labour"?

Figured out about five hours later that it definitely was, as the back pain became stronger and like regular spasms rather than a constant ache.

The period type pain I'm having at night at the moment is nothing like it, but then gladly this baby doesn't appear to be back to back!

Really hope something happens for you soon and you avoid an inductionchocolate

Blerg Mon 18-Jan-16 17:37:06

They vary so much don't they! I've been walking miles, and did last time but so far nothing. Thanks and same to you!

Wardrobespierre Mon 18-Jan-16 17:44:00

Dehydration can cause cramps and pains. More common at night as you're not drinking while sweating. Try drinking a little more and through the night.

Blerg Mon 18-Jan-16 18:14:54

Thanks - that could definitely explain it as I've been drinking less at night to avoid going to the loo 12 thousand times and waking toddler. Will drink more.

NickyEds Tue 19-Jan-16 21:35:15

I had this for several nights with dd. I'd start getting bad, regular BH and back ache. It would keep me up all sodding night then tail off in the morning. However when I did go into labour it was 5 hours and a straight forward birth with no tears. Mw said that a lot of the work had been done. Interestingly I went into labour properly the day my sister became fully available to look after my son-it was like I could "let myself" if that makes any sense. Dd was also back to back but "turned" during labour. When she turned everything became much easier despite being further along in labour.

Blerg Wed 20-Jan-16 06:25:25

Glad to hear it helped Nicky. Mine has been much less the last few night so maybe it was dehydration. I've been wondering about feeling able to labour with toddler - maybe once my mum arrives I can relax!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now