C-section and steroids

(12 Posts)
bluepuzzle Mon 11-Jan-16 14:59:36

I'm having a planned c-section next month. It will be my second c-section.

First c-section was done in the UK, at 40 weeks. I'm now in a country where they do planned c-sections at 38 weeks, and where it's taken for granted that if your first was a c-section then all subsequent births will be, too. I'm happy to have one. But I'm concerned about the date. I'm fine to have her at 38 weeks if it's safe - I have polyhydramnios, she is measuring 3 weeks ahead, and I feel about to burst.

I asked about steroids and they told me that here they don't give them unless the baby will be born before 36 weeks, but if I want them I can have them.

Should I ask for them?

Shootingstar2289 Tue 12-Jan-16 20:02:33

I don't think you would be given steroids at 38 weeks in the UK either. Pretty certain it's before 37 or 36 weeks? Don't count me in it though.

Good luck with having your new baby. I haf my second section 6 months ago smile

bluepuzzle Wed 13-Jan-16 14:32:00

Thanks smile

My first was very easy to recover from, how was the second? I'm hoping it's just as easy but I'm five years older....

Shootingstar2289 Fri 15-Jan-16 20:34:15

Second was ok. Less rest with your second obviously. I felt my recovery was a lite slower as I was more butchered this time even though it was my planned now emcs! But overall absolutely fine. I came home the next day! Good luck x

DinoSnores Fri 15-Jan-16 21:00:07

You would be likely to get steroids at 38 weeks if you were having a section in the UK. There's recent evidence that it does help and that it reduces the numbers of babies with breathing problems after sections if they have to be delivered before 39 weeks:

www.stockport.nhs.uk/documents/PIL/9645_MAT59.pdf

WillowB Fri 15-Jan-16 21:18:00

I had a c section in October at 38+2 & received 2 doses of steroids. It's becoming the norm to give them at 38 weeks now.

mayflyaway Fri 15-Jan-16 22:01:34

I had steroids pre ELCS at 38 & 37 weeks in the UK (both within the last 6 years) - 10 years ago I had another ELCS at 38 weeks& didn't have steroids for that one.

TheCatsMeow Sun 17-Jan-16 08:05:08

38 weeks is term, I wouldn't worry

amyboo Sun 17-Jan-16 08:27:38

I've had three c-sections outside the UK. First was at 39 weeks (planned due to footling breech), second was EMCS at 31 weeks so no time for steroids. Third one (3 months ago) was planned due to previous premature birth and I was given steroids at 36 weeks, but only because of the risk of early delivery. In the end, DD was born as planned at 38 weeks, which is considered term here. Recovery-wise, the first two were fine, the last one has been OK but I've got an overhang due to previous scar adhesions :-(

mrsnec Sun 17-Jan-16 08:32:31

I'm not in the UK either. I'm 34 weeks at the moment with my second. I had my first cs with dd 15 months ago.

My first one was in the same country. I just chose the date as late as possible but they did it at my pre op assessment at 39+5.

This time I've been going to the government hospital for consultant apts and the private hospital for scans and tests. The private hospital say their procedure in my circumstances is 36 weeks and the government hospital says 38 weeks. Neither mentioned steroids. But I wouldn't have a problem if they did.

However, I was a bit confused so I asked dds pediatrician and she says there's new research that says it's beneficial for both mother and baby to go as long as possible but 38 weeks is fine.

I'm measuring bang on for dates at the moment and haven't confirmed the procedure yet.

hazeyjane Sun 17-Jan-16 10:23:43

I would get the steroids, but I am probably wary because ds was born at 39 weeks by elcs and had severe respiratory distress, and immature lungs.

DinoSnores Sun 17-Jan-16 12:59:48

Babies born by section at more at risk (definitely not a given) of breathing problems because the squeezing of a vaginal delivery seems to prepare their lungs better, so giving steroids is a way of trying to reduce this risk even when 38 weeks would normally be term.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now