Sweep at 39+3 for VBAC?

(10 Posts)
SpanielFace Mon 04-Jan-16 11:01:29

I'm seeing my consultant on Thursday, at 39+3, apparently to check my cervix. She didn't say why she was checking it, do you think they would do a sweep at that stage? I am hoping for a VBAC, DS was a emergency CS due to being undiagnosed footling breech. I have a fear of going overdue and ending up with another CS because they can't induce me safely. A CS would not the end of the world, but I am so uncomfortable, I really don't want to waddle on for another 2-3 weeks and end up with a CS anyway when I could have had an elective one at 38/39 weeks, IYSWIM! Will they generally do a sweep before 40 weeks if your cervix is favourable?

Mumberjack Tue 05-Jan-16 16:07:10

Well Ive just been booked in for a sweep at 38 weeks (I'm 32 weeks just now) so it is possible to be given one pre due date.

I'd also like a vbac but cannot face going over 39 weeks (previous stillbirth at 39+ wks) so have an elcs booked for then.

SpanielFace Wed 06-Jan-16 09:03:54

That's good to hear, Mumberjack. I'm so sorry for your loss. flowers I lost a little boy at 21 weeks last year (officially a late missed miscarriage, he died around 18 weeks) so I understand the anxiety. Hope all goes well.

VeryPunny Wed 06-Jan-16 09:13:21

I was in the same position (EMCS for breech) and massively uncomfortable. Burst into tears on midwife who booked me in for sweep at 39 weeks; DS arrived after a VBAC 3 days later.

SpanielFace Wed 06-Jan-16 09:17:14

Thanks, that's really good to know VeryPunny. Looking at Google brings all sorts of answers - some people say they won't ever do a sweep before 40 weeks, others saying that they can do it early with consultants permission, others that it was fine! Maybe there are different rules in different areas? I would have thought that anything that got things moving, and avoided making a difficult choice between a risky induction or an elective C section was a good thing?

tiggersreturn Wed 06-Jan-16 11:09:15

I was booked for elcs at 38+6 for medical reasons. They booked me a sweep for 38+2 labour started that night and he arrived less than 24 hrs after the sweep. I had been having false alarms for over a week though

Scattymum101 Wed 06-Jan-16 20:22:21

I'm not sure how effective sweeps are unless your body is ready tbh. I've never had one though so can't really comment from experience.

Mumberjack Thu 07-Jan-16 10:14:48

Thank you SpanielFace and I'm sorry to hear about your little boy too.

I'd also heard that sweeps only work if your body is ready, but nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose.

kep1979 Fri 08-Jan-16 08:19:02

I'm having a sweep on Tuesday (at 39+4) - hoping for a VBA2C. Am booked in for a section for 40+5, due to baby's size. Both my midwife and consultant have been really supportive of me getting the birth I want, so will also have sweeps at 40wks and 40+4. I'm hoping that it will help things along, although I do believe they'll only work if you are ready anyway.

Off to have some reflexology later too - come on baby!!

Shootingstar2289 Sun 10-Jan-16 07:51:13

I really wanted a VBAC with my second and my MW agreed to attempt a stretch and sweep at 38, 39 and 40 weeks as she knew how desperate I was. I wasn't favourable and none of them worked. I never started on my own so my daughter was born by c-section which wasn't all that bad after all. It was more painful second time around for me, as I was so bruised which I wasn't with my first. However, was a whole lot nicer this time around as it was nice and relaxed plus I had my amazing husband to help me out. I was a single Mum when I had my first.

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now