Freaking out at 36 weeks

(9 Posts)
dotladotla Sat 12-Sep-15 09:41:29

Is it normal to start to feel emotional/scared towards the end of pregnancy?!
I just suddenly feel very emotional and, if truth be told, a bit overwhelmed by what's about to happen. Prob just all these silly hormones but the nerves are kicking in!
I am nervous that the baby will come out ok as I keep seeing things about stillborn etc that are freaking me right out. Count the kicks is a great cause but I think I need to unfollow them on FB because it gives me daily paranoia!
Then I start thinking about the fact that i don't really know what I'm doing. I was around when my niece was born in March but this time it's completely up to me to make sure that they are ok & survive & have everything they need. Am I losing it?!
October is going to be one long scary month!

Trurouge Sat 12-Sep-15 17:59:09

I'm also 36 weeks but with baby number 5 and what you are feeling is perfectly normal. My hormones are everywhere, I can cry at the silliest things. This time round I feel completely under prepared and I have no idea why. I keep telling myself that it will all be over soon, but just not soon enough in my opinion lol. I really would try not to worry although I know it's hard x

dotladotla Sat 12-Sep-15 21:11:06

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one, I have been feeling guilty about it!
Hormones all over the place won't be helping but it's just such a big event that I can't help but feel overwhelmed.
I thought it was because its my first child but maybe not!
I hope everything goes well with baby number 5 x

Trurouge Sat 12-Sep-15 21:15:26

Good luck with it all too. Try not to read too much into everything you read, for all the sad posts you see there are thousands of babies born with easy labours and no complications. You wouldn't be human if you didn't worry at all never mind being anxious about actually going into labour now but trust me, from my experience it's no where near as bad as you imagine and what you get out of it totally outweighs the lot. What's your due date?

dotladotla Sun 13-Sep-15 20:16:05

Thanks for the support. Im trying to take the worrying in a positive way because it shows that I care. You're totally right about how it is a small number of cases and I needed reminded of that!
I'm due on the 7th of October so just over 3 weeks to go. Now to concentrate on being calmly excited!

MusicMum18 Mon 14-Sep-15 20:33:34

My advice, strange as it sounds is, enjoy it!! We went through years of believing we'd never have a child, when the time came I was determined to enjoy the experience. And I did!! There are so many women who can't have children that would love to be in your position, so make the most of it!! It was amazing for me. The best thing I've ever done, or ever will do. I look at my lo every day and feel so thankful. Don't be scared, embrace this amazing thing you are going to do. I found the contractions fine as they just disappear and you feel normal again, so it's about getting ready for the next one. Don't get me wrong the pain is terrible, but just remember that it won't last.

As soon as you hold your baby in your arms, the pain will just disappear, it really is incredible. Look forward to it and enjoy every minute. Also not sure what your birth plan is but the gas and air really helped me, I loved the stuff and was as high as a kite, my hubby had to wrestle it from my mouth, I was laughing at everything!!

dotladotla Tue 15-Sep-15 01:11:10

Ahh, sorry, I maybe never explained it very well. It's not the contractions and things that I'm scared about, it's the thought that something could happen to the baby and fear of stillbirth and such.
I don't think I'm going to be able to use gas and air because I have such a high probability of fainting (due to a childhood condition I have) but I'm sure that it's great.
I'd love to be able to embrace and enjoy it and, believe me, I'm trying. I think that it's wanting it so much that gives me the fear. I'm sure that when the baby arrives I'll feel much calmer. I understand that I'm privileged to be in this position, I don't want to sound ungrateful because I'm really not. I'm just struggling a bit with it all at times.

MusicMum18 Tue 15-Sep-15 03:20:40

Hi sorry if I misunderstood! I understand your anxiety and your concerns are understandable. Giving birth is a complicated thing and everyone's experience is different. It's so hard waiting when you are close to giving birth! Problems in birth happen as you know but try not to worry I know it's hard, I worried a lot beforehand too. Also put your trust in the midwives I think they really do a great job of supporting women through this difficult and emotional time! All the very best of luck with it all xxx

dotladotla Tue 15-Sep-15 08:45:32

Thanks, fingers crossed now, only 21 (give or take) days to go!
I know a couple of the midwives at my local hospital so have told them just to tell me to buck up and get on with it ha.
I think I was having a low point at the weekend but feeling somewhat more positive now. Might treat myself to something cute for the baby today - it always lifts my mood ??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now