Induction and insulin drip with GD

(17 Posts)
bunny85 Wed 02-Sep-15 18:40:34

Hi ladies,

Question to those of you who had GD and had to be induced and also had to have insulin/glucose drip throughout the labour.

I'm 28 weeks and have GD since 16 weeks and on insulin. They made it clear I'll be induced and will need the insulin+glucose drip too. Now, in ideal world I'd love to have a natural birth, no interventions and no epidural. Is it doable or am I being ridiculously naive setting myself up for a big disappointment? I've heard that induction labour (after oxytocin drip that is - I do realise the pessaries might work and there'd be no need for oxytocin) brings much more violent and unnatural contractions which can't be tolerated without epidural. The other thing is the insulin drip, does it mean being restricted to bed? Suppose the lucky scenario if the baby comes a week earlier naturally or pessary works, will I be able to move around with the insulin drip, or at least stand up during contractions?

If anyone has experienced this, I'd be very interested to hear both good and scary stories alike. Simply because one never knows what happens until the day, and I just like to be prepared for anything, albeit reassuring experiences are very very nice to hear too!

Thanks in advance!

ThreeFrazzledFandangos Wed 02-Sep-15 18:51:56

I don't meet all of your criteria but I had induction due to GD. The pessary worked first time and my contractions were manageable with gas and air.

I didn't have to have the insulin drip but was restricted to a bed for monitoring (DS was quite elusive and they were struggling to find his heart rate throughout) and they put the cannula in just in case I needed the drip.

It was a long labour and I did wonder if this was because I couldn't get up and move around but it was definitely manageable and being stuck sat in a bed didn't affect the pushing stage at all.

bunny85 Wed 02-Sep-15 20:01:13

Thank you for replying, how great to hear that pessaries might just work for the first time! (I've got this idea stuck in my head that they don't work). Also that being stuck in bed is not that bad after all...How many weeks were you when they induced you?

yolorolo Wed 02-Sep-15 20:58:14

I had GD in my first pregnancy and was booked in for induction at 37 weeks which was then changed to 38 weeks. I wanted an active birth with little to no intervention or monitoring unless absolutely necessary. I battled for this all through my pregnancy from 22 weeks with no joy. In the end I need not have bothered as ds arrived at 37+1. My waters broke and I went in for monitoring as I had no contractions, the midwife was happy all was well and sent me home till things got going. I was booked in for induction 24 hours later if no movement. Things did happen very quickly 10 hours later. Quick contractions with ds delivered from start to finish in 1hr 24, I arrived at hospital and he came 10mins later! There was no time for insulin drip, monitoring or pain relief. I was quite surprised as I hadn't prepared to go into labour naturally I had focused so much on induction and all the negative that goes with. Sorry it doesn't help much with reassuring you about induction but prepare for the possibility it might happen naturally. I am pregnant with dc 2 now, avoided gd this time and am stressing about it being quicker than last!

Topsy34 Wed 02-Sep-15 22:56:48

Why dont you look at foley catheter for induction, no medication to force contractions

ThreeFrazzledFandangos Thu 03-Sep-15 00:23:26

I was 38 weeks. Cervix very favourable, already contracting on and off before induction.

I bloody hated the blood sugar monitoring though. I was in and out of sleep and they kept waking me up to test it. I was in active labour 12 hours and they woke me up hourly hmmgrin

bunny85 Thu 03-Sep-15 15:28:30

Yolorolo, what a great positive birth experience! Glad you avoided GD this time, and good luck with the next birth! I know, many women worry about it happening so quickly, but for me personally quick labour would be a dream labour. Best of luck with it.

Topsy, did have a look, sounds very painful and scary! Have you tried it yourself?

ThreeFrazzled, did you actually manage to sleep in labour?! Oh maybe it's not all that bad as I imagine then!.. grin

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 03-Sep-15 15:35:54

A Foley catheter is a tube which drains urine from the bladder [Topsy]

ibe heard of the Foley balloon for induction and had a medical rep demonstrating it (thankfully not on a real life case) but I'm not sure many hospitals in the UK use it yet??? If the hospital don't offer it as an option then it's not an option. We're thinking of trialling it where I work but it'll be ages yet before we start, we need to write guidelines, etc.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 03-Sep-15 15:42:52

I also got the impression that the balloon thingy didn't lessen the chances of needing synto drip. The idea is it gets your cervix to a stage where your waters can be broken. Waters are then still broken and the synto drip used in the same manner as if it was prostin that had been used.

bunny. Ive seen quite a few women not have an epidural when they have the drip but if I'm honest it's a minority. Certainly you don't need to be restricted to the bed just for the drip and ctg monitor you should still be able to move about. Ask about a wireless ctg machine if they have one?

If you do end up with an epidural ask your midwife about lying on your side rather than on your back.

bunny85 Thu 03-Sep-15 16:03:54

WhoTheFuckIsSimon, thanks for your reply. Yes that's just what I thought (about it being minority). Thanks for the advice re lying on the side, may I ask why is that?

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 03-Sep-15 16:22:29

Baby is more likely to get into and remain in a better position and your pelvic outlet is maximised by being on your side rather than being on your back/semi recumbent.

The other option depending on how well you can feel your legs with an epidural and what sort of beds they have is if they have beds which can be made into a chair position then again that's better than been semi recumbent. So a more upright position.

Only thing is epidurals function a bit via gravity so too upright and you might have numb feet but feel the contractions. For this reason if you're on your side alternate sides at intervals.

bunny85 Thu 03-Sep-15 16:33:25

Oh so helpful, thanks a million!

ThreeFrazzledFandangos Thu 03-Sep-15 20:18:28

I was off my tits on pethidine at the time! Good times smile

Scotinoz Fri 04-Sep-15 10:14:42

I don't have GD but have been induced twice, at 40+5 and 39wks. First time I had the pessary, waters broken and the drip. Second time, waters broken and the drip. I had three hour labours each time with gas&air just at the end.

People only tend to share their induction horror stories! I had really good induction experiences, as have quite a few friends.

My advice is to stop reading about it and just take it as it comes smile

strawberrypenguin Fri 04-Sep-15 10:46:50

I had GD and an induced oxytocin and insulin/glucose drip labour. I didn't have an epidural until they had to use forceps (and that was nothing to do with the GD) I had gas and air and Pethidin which worked well for me.

bunny85 Fri 04-Sep-15 13:01:47

Scotinoz and strawberrypenguin, wow you girls must be so proud of yourself! I agree best thing is to stop reading horror stories and believe in yourself. I'm reading juju sundin's book about pain management and fingers crossed can avoid the epidural-csection etc. Very very encouraging indeed, thank you both.

bunny85 Fri 04-Sep-15 13:03:45

*of yourselves, that was meant to say

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now