How can my DH be more involved with Csection?

(6 Posts)
Moojay Mon 10-Aug-15 09:48:52

Due second baby in a few weeks, all scheduled in for a planned c-section.
Last baby was an 8 day labour, followed by an emergency section that was all very traumatic for everyone involved.
DH was barely in the room when dd was delivered and wasn't able to cut cord or anything.
The plan was for DH to be the first to hold our first, and to cut the cord etc. He was amazing during the labour, I didn't get the urge to punch him once grin

We later found out I have some issues with my cervix so a cs is required this time, which we have made our peace with.
My concern is how he can be involved in the process at all? What generally happens in the hours leading up to cs?
We have an appointment with the consultant to book in the section date and go through the plans next week so hopefully ill be able to get some more info then too.

Fishwives Mon 10-Aug-15 09:53:38

There's not a lot he can do, but there's not a lot for either of you to do in a CS! I wanted someone to talk to me, mostly. DH did cut the cord and hold DS before I did, though. It was a nice, calm, painless experience, and surreally fast!

IAmAPaleontologist Mon 10-Aug-15 09:59:33

with a section they tend to leave a good length of cord so your dh can still cut it. if you are not feeling well enough for skin to skin in theatre then your dh could have skin to skin while they stitch you back up smile .

Heels99 Mon 10-Aug-15 10:04:24

He sits with you at the head end and holds your hand and gives you moral support. That is his role, leave the doctor stuff to the doctors!

Panzee Mon 10-Aug-15 10:08:32

My husband took the photo of him being born, it's my favourite ever photo.

Nottalotta Mon 10-Aug-15 10:54:53

My DH was with me as we waited in the hospital prior to CS. He was there as the surgical team/midwife etc all introduced themselves. He came into theatre and sat by my head holding my hand. I had an unpleasant reaction to the spinal that(due to another condition) which was scary and it helped that he was there reassuring me. I felt pretty rough after that so was glad he was there. He watched DS be delivered (I couldn't by then) cut the cord and held him where i could see them both. Then placed him on me for skin to skin and helped me keep hold of him. It was great. :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now