Hypnobirthing stories?? (particularly in Harrogate)

(5 Posts)
Tigger31 Tue 28-Jul-15 09:20:08

Hello mummies

Anyone got any stories (balanced ones welcome!) about hypnobirthing??

I'm 31 weeks and just starting to think about it. I have found 2 private midwifes who are available for individual classes (no group ones unfortunately as admittedly Ive left it a bit late!). I'm having trouble deciding who to go with.

Both ladies seem very reputable and have a wealth of midwifery experience, but the service varies somewhat in terms of time: one of them offers 6 hours, in our home (at a total cost of £450), and the other is a 5 week course (total 10 hours) for £325...

The course material offered seems almost identical, so it's only the time spent (and the cost) that varies.

I'm a bit confused.. Naturally the one who offers more time for less money appeals! (we are not well off, this is a huge investment for me)
But when I started researching it, it was the lady running the shorter course who I was drawn to before all the external stuff came in... what to do??

Any info on how you found the course (or recommendations!) gratefully received! Thanks smile

Topsy34 Tue 28-Jul-15 21:44:31

Hmmm, well i would go with the one that you are drawn to more.

We paid about £350 for 2 full days over 2 weekends 6 years ago, so about 12-14 hours total.

I spoke to 2 hypnotherapists and one reassured me more than the other, her voice was calmer, level and i felt more comfortable.

BearFoxBear Tue 28-Jul-15 22:22:38

I can't help you location-wise, but we did a 6 week course (marie mongon method) and it was brilliant. I had to be induced due to medical issues and the consultant said he'd never seen anyone manage it without pain relief before! If one of your options follows that method I'd recommend it, but you also have to be comfortable with your tutor. It's brilliant though, I recommend it to everyone smile

ButterDish Tue 28-Jul-15 22:37:26

I did a six-week private course with a practising midwife who'd trained with Marie Mongan (I think another couple were supposed to take the classes, but didn't show) in North London. We took it very seriously, practised the 'script' daily etc, but tbh, it didn't help manage the pain when I went into labour, and I was left feeling rather bad about the whole experience, and the considerable amount of money we'd spent on something that, in retrospect, looks like an expensive attempt to feel slightly in control.

It didn't help that our teacher phoned twice after our son was born, clearly wanting enthusiastic 'natural birth' testimonials for her lessons, and when we actually told her the truth - it hadn't helped, I had a heavily medicalised birth ending in a CS, and had then been unable to bf - she audibly lost interest.

Just our experience, obviously. I know it helps some people.

applecore0317 Tue 28-Jul-15 22:43:19

I just bought a book and CD from Amazon and used the techniques in that, found it worked brilliantly and got me through labour with no pain relief.

It was the Maggie Howell book and CD I used.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now