Really starting to doubt the quality of care in my area

(7 Posts)
MishMooshAndMogwai Fri 26-Jun-15 12:30:25

I'm 37 weeks now with dc2. My first was born in a different part of the country so this is my first experience of pre/antenatal care in this area.

We are planning a home birth- this was always in the back of my mind but was reinforced by the faff experienced with my first hospital appointment.

They've messed up every single appointment so far be it through misorganisation, understaffing, human error or poor time keeping. Not one thing has gone to plan. Obviously these things happen but not for every single appointment surely?
The first time, I was awaiting my first scan appointment and was fobbed off until gone 14 weeks when it was admitted that they were so over run that they hadn't even got to me yet to make an appointment!

Today was supposed to be my home visit, it's already been rearranged twice and my midwife text yesterday to say another midwife would be visiting as she was covering a different area today- not a problem. This midwife would be coming at 12 as arranged and would go through everything with me. We went to toddler group across the road and arrived back at 11.30 to find a note through the door saying she'd missed us and we'd have to rearrange. I rang straight away and appologised for being out but I was under the impression she was coming at 12 as arranged with the other midwife. She said she'd never recieved a message of a time so came when was suitable for her- fair enough, not her fault but I'm pretty peeved at the other midwife.

I'm worrying now. They can't seem to arrange the simplest thing between them and seem to be so stretched that even at the hospital you can't guarantee someone will be there.

Am I going to end up being left midwife-less on the day I give birth? Dp is worried enough as it is!

No chance of hiring a doula or private midwife, we can barely afford shopping at the moment!

Should I brief Dp in how to deliver a baby incase no one shows up in time?

MishMooshAndMogwai Fri 26-Jun-15 12:31:09

I tell a lie, I have had experience of them before with an MMC last year and I wasn't treated brilliantly then either sad

Sheepoverthemoon Fri 26-Jun-15 13:46:12

This really sounds disorganised mishmoo. I'm having a home birth and the community midwife service had been smoothly run. always on time, never re-arranged and always same named midwife. They have home birth antenatal classes, but was too close to my due date, so a midwife came on a Sunday & did a one to one session & home birth assessment. Also I've phoned the midwife helping x 3 times and they are always do helpful & reassuring. I asked what the likelihood is there wouldn't be a midwife available, she said she had never known it to happen in all the years she had been there. Talk to your midwife about your concerns, hope things get better for you

MishMooshAndMogwai Fri 26-Jun-15 15:17:13

Wow that sounds great sheep! Exactly how you'd want it to be and more.

I was supposed to ask her today but she didn't turn up! That was my main question to ask her! Ironyyyy....

quellerosiel Mon 29-Jun-15 17:57:00

You're not in Gloucestershire by any chance are you? My neighbour has a an 8 week old and its sounded completely shoddy. Honestly considering moving before we start TTC!

Duckdeamon Mon 29-Jun-15 18:01:01

I don't think the things you mention, poor service though they are, indicate that the clinical care is likely to be poor.

In terms of your anxiety about staffing for the birth it might help to contact them and explain your concerns.

MishMooshAndMogwai Mon 29-Jun-15 20:59:30

No quelle, warwickshire. Ive heard mixed reviews from friends in the area with new babies.

duck ive rearranged the appointment again (4th time now? 5th?) and hopefully will see her on Wednesday and get to answer.

I just feel so unimportant and like an inconvenience even when all I ask for is the routine appointments, it's not like I'm ringing her every day at all hours about the slightest little thing!
I don't want to be left giving birth without a midwife and I don't want to avoid it by going into a hospital where I'm going to be treated like cattle sad

I'll speak to her on Wednesday and see if she can put my mind at ease.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now