Hospital Bag

(8 Posts)
MiaT28 Thu 25-Jun-15 16:02:49

Hi,

I have a general list of what to pack in my hospital bag but is there anything that anyone recommends that is not usually included on the list?

Thanks!

HelenF350 Thu 25-Jun-15 16:37:04

I was told to pack flip flops as the showers can be a bit confused Was also told disposable knickers are a waste of time, better with primark cheapies. Also pack snacks! Hospital food is crap and there is no vending machine in my local maternity hospital.

findingmyfeet12 Thu 25-Jun-15 16:38:41

A few empty plastic bags for soiled clothes and wet towels etc.

NinjaPanda34 Thu 25-Jun-15 16:40:22

I've posted this a few times. Here's my list of lists... Hope it's useful to someone! smile

FOR CHANGING
If you have an upstairs consider setting up a changing station downstairs as well as in the baby’s room. This is particularly useful in the post-birth aches and restricted movement.
You will need:
Changing mat. Wipes (We use waterwipes – “The world’s purest wipes”, no nasty chemicals and usually on offer at boots.com, trust me, cotton wool and water are a FAFF at 4am). Nappy sacks. Sudocream. Nappies. If you have a boy, consider investing in many face-cloths to cover their bits and to catch the inevitable fountains…
We bought a TommeeTippee sangenic tub which is great – you do end up with a poo sausage, but it seals everything up and doesn’t smell. Woohoo.

FOR SLEEPING
Our boys are (at 4 months) still in their Moses Baskets. So there’s no huge rush to buy a cot/ cot bed.
You will need:
Fitted sheets (x2 or 3), cellular blankets, Moses basket and rockable stand (we got ours in Argos). The Moses baskets are great because you can move them round the house. Baby monitor – for when you put them in a darkened room to stop them screaming!

FOR TRAVELLING
You will need:
Car seat, ISOFIX base. (Much safer than seatbelts as it attaches to the cassis of your car). Pram, we found one that we could attach the car seats to the frame which is useful when you don’t want to wake up the baby! Slings, wait until baby is here – some babies hate them, and they run a sling library at the library where you can try before you buy. Changing bag.

FOR FEEDING
You will need:
FORMULA FEEDING:
Steriliser, bottles (size 1 teats), bottle brush, pre-made formula packs for the hospital (although they will give you some). MUSLINS. You cannot have enough muslins. Breast pads. Formula (we use SMA).
BREASTFEEDING:
Nursing bra (get fitted from about 34 weeks), Lansinoh nipple cream (expensive but essential, and lasts for ages). Muslins. Notepad to log feeding times (trust me your brain will be fuzz). Don’t worry about pumps etc for expressing, if needs be, the hospital has a pump.

CLOTHING FOR BABY
Trust me you will get LOADS of clothes as gifts, so you only need to buy a few essential items to get you going.
Sleepsuits with integral scratch-mitts. X6
Bodysuits/vests x6
Pramsuit/ snowsuit to wrap them up in to take them home.
Hats x2
Maternity wards are usually ROASTING, you won’t need cardigans, socks or clothes other than sleepsuits.

FOR BATHING
Baby bath and support seat.
Oilatum (you can get this on prescription from your GP)
Cotton wool / buds
Dentinox cradlecap shampoo
A jug

THINGS YOU WON’T NEED (yet)
Baby bouncer / Jumparoo – not needed until 4+ months
Playmat, again not interested in it until 2+ months
Nightlight. Nope. Our babies sleep best in total darkness.
Cot/ cot-bed. No rush, they'll be in their Moses baskets for a wee while first.

HOSPITAL BAGS
FOR MUM (& DAD)
YOUR NOTES
Granny pants (lots of), nursing bras, front-opening nighties, dressing gown, waterproof flip-flops (for standing in the hospital shower), a going-home outfit (you will still have a bump, so something loose and stretchy), socks, yoga bottoms, nursing/ maternity tops.
Maternity pads (you will need LOTS of these, I liked the boots ones. Don’t get normal sanitary pads, it you have to have stitches, the cover of them can get attached… Yeouch - sorry if that's TMI!), breast pads, lip balm (hospital air is really hot and dry) strepsils/throat sweeties (gas & air gives you a really dry sore throat), shower stuff, hair bobbles, hairdryer, toothbrush/toothpaste, glasses, flannels for cooling you down mid-labour (magicool mist is also very good), carrier bags for dirty washing, lansinoh cream, hair-band, peppermint tea t-bags.
Car seats (only need for the day you go home!) camera and charger, phones and chargers, cereal bars/ snacks. Money for vending machines / canteen. Headphones, eye-mask, change of clothes for Dad (he will get puked on, pooed on, plus it’s good for skin-to-skin contact for him), book/kindle, tissues, notepad and pen, moist loo roll, facial wipes, bump support belt.
FOR BABY
Nappies (SIZE1), Wipes. Nappy sacks. Travel change mat (you usually get one in your changing bag). Muslins. Sudocream. Vests x6, sleepsuits x6, hats x2, Pramsuit. Cuddly toy. Bibs. You don’t need to take in your own blankets (apart from one to go over the legs of baby in the carseat on day of departure. They’ll only get mixed up (and never seen again) with the hospital blankets.)

AbbeyRoadCrossing Thu 25-Jun-15 17:05:15

Things not usually included that I found useful were:
Moist toilet tissue - helped me feel a bit cleaner
A water bottle - the water machine was really far away and a tiny little cup wasn't enough, I was so thirsty
Big pants - just some cheap ones. I unexpectedly had a c section and these were brought in by a friend - phew! But they're only cheap anyway if you want to pack in case.

ClariceBeanthatsme Thu 25-Jun-15 18:07:46

Any bits your birthing partner might need?? I packed a spare t-shirt and deodorant for DP. Ask him or whoever you plan on being there.

MuddyWellyNelly Thu 25-Jun-15 18:14:21

Ninja as a FT(soon to be)M that's a very helpful list, thanks.

Re the water bottle, a tip I read was to get one that had a clip (or you can attach a carabiner to) so you could clip it to the bed. Post CS this might be the only way you can get a drink of water in the night.

soloula Thu 25-Jun-15 22:32:36

Big cheap primark knickers and a cheap nightie or tshirt for giving birth in that you can fling afterwards if you end up with blood and/or gunk on it. iPod with a few playlists to keep you sane (and a dock and spare batteries if your labour rooms don't have any). If you have a birth plan I was recommended having it written out in brief bullet points on a separate piece of paper (someone I know laminated hers) as midwives rarely bother reading it in your notes so if there are things that are important having them separate can make them easier for the midwife to read. Also give a copy to your birthing partner and make sure they are briefed what you want so they can support you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now