Is a sore bump a matter for maternity triage

(14 Posts)
BookSnark Thu 18-Jun-15 15:45:11

I'm 40 weeks. Baby has generally been modestly mobile & wriggly (normal for her) - but last two days has had extended periods of behaving like a kangaroo. Pushing her legs against the top of my bump & ramming her head down (like she's trying to bust out!). I've been having contractions on & off - last night had a few hours of v strong contractions 10mins apart.

This morning I just feel beaten up. My bump is sore, I'm finding it very awkward to walk. Baby has gone back to gentle occasional wriggling. Nothing is tender to touch. No discharge to speak of.

I'm seeing midwife tomorrow afternoon anyway. Does any of the above ring 'alarm bells' which suggest I need to be watched more closely in the meanwhile - or is it just normal end-of-pregnancy-itis?

coneywonder Thu 18-Jun-15 21:29:23

I don't really know for sure as I'm 37 weeks with my first but didn't want to read and run.

I think if it was me I would wait and speak to midwfie tomorrow, especially if baby is active as normal. It probably is one of those lovely "I'm so pregnant I'm gonna pop" symptoms...

BookSnark Thu 18-Jun-15 22:23:17

I did phone triage in the end. Their advice was to focus on movements - to go in straight away if I felt they were reduced - but not to worry about bump pain otherwise.

Since then - I seem to be heading for the same evening as last night - as in the bottom of my bump is contracting and the top is being kangaroo kicked by a now-wide-awake baby- giving an overall sense of being thoroughly beaten up. So I presume it is one of those charming pre labour treats!

seastargirl Thu 18-Jun-15 22:26:04

Any changes to movements or sudden changes to your bump, please contact triage without hesitation.

Hope all goes well.

HelenF350 Thu 18-Jun-15 22:27:28

Mine's been doing similar, I didn't even think to worry blush Glad to hear the midwife says it's ok though. It blooming hurts when baby beats up your insides!

BookSnark Fri 19-Jun-15 01:17:15

Argh - 5 minute contractions now - but perfectly manageable.

It's OK to let DH sleep until its officially morning....yeah....?

fattymcfatfat Fri 19-Jun-15 01:21:36

if you still feel comfortable enough and want to leave him sleeping then do that. if you want him awake with you or you feel you need to go into hospital kick him until he wakes up wink

when having DS I had my mum with me every step of the way from first contraction. when having DD I let their Dad sleep for a couple of hours when things started to kick off properly.

BookSnark Fri 19-Jun-15 01:59:07

I'd rather let him sleep. I'm feeling quite happy with lonesome little labouring. (though fear it may be a re-run of DS1 - where DH woke up, took one shock look at me - and drove me straight to hospital - where I dropped DS 30 minutes later.... )

Poor bloke only crawled into bed at midnight after being put on notice that I'm getting a sweep at 3pm tomorrow - and expect him to bust out of work to accompany me from then on in promenading me around town to encourage the sweep to 'take'.

also I'm not sure I can be bothered with the drama of raising my childcare from their beds (especially when it still might be a false alarm).

BookSnark Fri 19-Jun-15 01:59:27

I'd rather let him sleep. I'm feeling quite happy with lonesome little labouring. (though fear it may be a re-run of DS1 - where DH woke up, took one shock look at me - and drove me straight to hospital - where I dropped DS 30 minutes later.... )

Poor bloke only crawled into bed at midnight after being put on notice that I'm getting a sweep at 3pm tomorrow - and expect him to bust out of work to accompany me from then on in promenading me around town to encourage the sweep to 'take'.

also I'm not sure I can be bothered with the drama of raising my childcare from their beds (especially when it still might be a false alarm).

BookSnark Fri 19-Jun-15 02:02:43

Mangobubbles Fri 19-Jun-15 02:44:49

Be careful, It might happen quicker than you think!! Don't want to scare you but on Sunday I was sent home from hospital (DC3) only to go back an hour later. DD head born in car, she was born outside the lift to the labour ward.... Please don't leave it too late to wake your DH. Good luck with everything.

BookSnark Fri 19-Jun-15 03:12:54

Don't know whether to try to sleep (not had much luck so far - but caught up with the ironing pile!) - or to encourage progress/good position (& less pain) by staying on my bouncy ball....

HelenF350 Fri 19-Jun-15 03:33:56

You could try a bath? I've just woken up, got tightenings again. Feels like something may be starting. Contemplating a bath myself. Good luck! ��

Mrscog Fri 19-Jun-15 04:09:15

You sound like me with my dc2, was very calm and chilled at home but only just made it to hospital - if you're not already snuggling your baby don't leave it too long - transition with no gas and air was a killer!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now