Cesarean for large baby

(26 Posts)
BabyBobbins32 Sun 31-May-15 06:18:49

Hi,
I just wanted to get some other opinions... I had a growth scan on Wednesday as baby was measuring big and the scan also showed baby was likely to be big 4.78kg (10.5ish lbs). They told me it could be out c20% either way, which is the difference between an 8.4lb baby or a 12.6lb baby! I was told to see the consultant that afternoon. He said my baby was at risk of shoulder dystocia and he would recommend a cesarean...as this is my first and I have no history for them to base it on he said they don't know if my pelvis is big enough to deliver a baby of that size so the lowest risk is cesarean. He said if I went for natural and got all the way to delivering the head and the the shoulders couldn't get out then it was too late for emergency c section and My baby was at risk of nerve damage that may not recover so they could lose use of arm or starving baby of oxygen which could lead to lots of problems or even death. He gave me and my husband 5mins to decide what we wanted to do...we took about 30mins, most of which was me crying as really wanted natural birth...but We decided it would be selfish of us to proceed with natural just because we wanted that "experience" and that why would we risk baby so opted for cesarean. Since making the decision I've spoken to friends and family who have mostly all said we've made right decision (although they maybe don't want to say we haven't!). I just wanted other people's opinion as I've read lots of posts on here about people delivering large babies...my mum delivered 9 pounders...although she is slightly taller than me, not sure if that makes a difference to pelvis size?! I also just wondered can they not check the size of my pelvis on a scan or something to see if large enough?! If it wasn't risk to baby I am not worried about myself in terms of pain of delivering a large baby but if I went for natural and baby shoulders got stuck I would never forgive myself. I am 39weeks today, baby is head down, c2/5s engaged...I asked consultant if I said no to c section would they induce me and he said prob not...so baby could get even bigger...although he said wouldn't grow much more now (I thought that's all they'd do now?). Anyway, just wondered about other people's experiences, opinions, thoughts? My c section is currently booked for Thursday!
Thank you!

stopeatingbiscuits Sun 31-May-15 06:54:57

I am surprised the consultant has been so extreme in his advice. Also scans are notoriously inaccurate.

My first baby was 8lb 3 at 38 weeks and delivered naturally with gas and air and I had one tiny internal stitch.

The second was 10lb11 at 40+5 and was also delivered naturally with a bit of gas and air. It was very quick and I had only a couple of stitches. I am very mindful that was my second though.

I am not sure if it makes any difference but my mother and grandmother all had relatively straightforward births.

I have a very good friend and her first was 9lb and she had shoulder dystocia which though scary at the time all ended fine with no damage or injury to her baby (she had an episiotomy).

It is hard - had I been told my first was going to be massive I am sure I would have ultimately made the same decision you have (I am risk averse but have always wanted natural births). Also with the first you have no idea how your labour is going to go.

I don't know what to advise really - consultant seem to have been extreme in his advice, it is certainly possible to give birth naturally to big babies but for the first one I can see why you made the choice you have. It will be absolutely fine - the most important thing is the baby arrives safely! After the baby arrives you realise just how tiny a part of the whole thing the birth actually is!

stopeatingbiscuits Sun 31-May-15 06:55:52

Also cannot understand why he is saying they wouldn't induce if you said no to section? Seems surprising.

ChalkyC Sun 31-May-15 07:24:06

Hi - I had exactly this with my first baby. I had been planning a home birth. Like you say I was scared and agreed to the C section. Ultimately it all went a bit wrong as I went into labour before the planned date, but ended up having c section anyway.

The baby was big - 10.5 lb! I was actually glad about that - would have been annoyed if he'd been an 7lb-er! I did feel dad I hadn't had a lovely home birth - and the thing I didn't appreciate at the time was that it does affect any subsequent pregnancies. But, you know, 5 years on I don't really think about - it's a cliché but who knows whether I could have birthed him (his head wasn't partic big actually, he was just chunky!), but he was born safely and neither of us suffered any ill effects from the c section.

Good luck with everything - it really is a difficult decision - and you can change your mind at any point.

Branleuse Sun 31-May-15 07:36:57

have you checked. out statistics for that consultant? Some of them are very quick to section. Maybe a second opinion might help your decision?

BertrandRussell Sun 31-May-15 07:39:13

Can you ask for a second opinion? It seems very strange that the consultNt was so definite- I thought that in most cases the baby's size makes very little difference to the ease of the birth.

TheWildRumpyPumpus Sun 31-May-15 07:55:36

DS2 was 11lb 3, he came out incredibly easily.

I'm amazed your consultant wants to rush to CS, mine says they'd induce on due date if he hasn't arrived but that size is rarely an issue, more about positioning.

Whatabout Sun 31-May-15 08:00:08

The question about measuring your pelvis, we used to X-ray to look at the size of your pelvis for this reason. Now we don't as it as seen as an unnecessary exposure to you and the baby. So sadly there is no way of no hence them going on the safe side and offering a section.

JasonsBum Sun 31-May-15 08:01:00

Scans are inaccurate, and it does sound like the consultant was rather blunt, however I was referred to a consultant as the baby was measuring big. Consultant measured and did an internal and told me a C-section wasn't needed and that I'd be able to give birth naturally. I ended up going into labour naturally, as I was under consultant care I couldn't move around and had to stay on monitoring. I had contractions for 10 hours before having an emergency c-section. The medical team were fantastic and I was really well looked after but in hindsight, if I'd have had the choice, I would have chosen an Elective C-section. Your health and the baby's is what matters, not how you got the baby out.

Meganlilly89 Sun 31-May-15 08:05:36

My 1st baby was 9lb 6oz. I had no warning she was going to be big, I had a natural labour, had to be cut at the end but that's it.

QuinoaLenghi Sun 31-May-15 08:12:19

I'm really surprised by the unequivocal advice offered by your consultant. My first was 9lbs 6oz and I delivered her fine. Second was 10lbs 4iz but at scan two days before birth they said no bigger than 8lbs! Easiest birth. My third was estimated to be 10lbs at scan so I was induced. He was under 8lbs!

Do scans were totally inaccurate for me and size didn't correlate with ease of labour anyway.

Having said that u wouldn't push for induction. You are most likely to labour effectively if your body is ready.

It's such shard choice for you. Can you ask for a second opinion or talk to a midwife?

123Jump Sun 31-May-15 08:38:02

I was told my first two were 7lb ers at scans.
9Lb 7 oz and 10lb 11oz. Natural deliveries and no stitches.
I thought it was the size of shoulders that caused this problem?
I agree that getting a second opinion would be a good idea.
I feel very strongly that women should have the birth they want. But sometimes we have to accept that the experts might know what they're doing.

BabyBobbins32 Sun 31-May-15 11:29:37

Thanks everyone for your replies. I haven't been able to speak to my midwife yet as she only works Mon/Tues so going to try and get hold of her tomorrow to see what she thinks. I think if I go into labour naturally before thurs then I might see how I progress and maybe go for it, but otherwise, like many of you said, when it gets to thurs and I have my baby in my arms everything else doesn't matter.
Thanks for all your message

ChickenLaVidaLoca Sun 31-May-15 16:30:27

Scans are inaccurate, but the flipside to that is that they don't just overestimate size, they also underestimate it sometimes!

ScorpioMermaid Sun 31-May-15 16:49:29

When i had my first 13 years ago. I was 17 and fairly slim. My bump was measuring massive a d i was never offered a further growth scan or had any concern shown to me. I gave birth naturally to a 10lb 1oz girl 2 days before my due date when my waters broke. Im really surprised i didnt have any intervention along the line re scans or anything. I honestly looked 40 weeks at 20 weeks. Fast forward to now, im 30 and 34 weeks pg tomorrow. Ive had more kids since dd1 the biggest being 11lb 6oz, 2 more just under 11lb, 3 just under 10lb and the last was just under 8lb he was norn at 37 weeks due to placental abruption. Ive never been offered anything just struggled along birthing giant babies. Ive got to go in on wednesday for a growth scan this time but thats purely because i booked very late and they want to see if my dates still correlate. Maybe its a postcode thing i dont know. I feel a bit neglected if im honest. Luckily ive had no complications apart from the placental abruption last time. We'll see what happens on wednesday I have a feeling they won't do anything again.

22Dee Sun 31-May-15 19:14:11

dont let them bully you.

my scan said 9lb4 at 34 weeks and i had fundal height of 44cm and polyhydromis and at risk of this that and the other. They wanted to induce and intervene in all sorts of ways

i held out for what i wanted he was born 9lb 5 at 40 weeks what do they know. they just cover themselves coz no one wants to be liable

trust yourself not them and not technology

unless theres an emergency of coursewink

HenriettaTurkey Sun 31-May-15 19:26:16

My second child was 9lb 10 and a water birth. But he was my second. First was nowhere near that...

Maybe a second opinion?

HappyLucyLou Sun 31-May-15 20:27:42

I've been told I'm having a large baby (on the 95+ centile) and I am tiny. However a c section hasn't even been mentioned. My consultant did tell me there is a 50% chance of baby getting stuck, however she then went on to say there is a 50% chance of anyones baby getting stuck big or small. My first child was also a little too big for me so it ended in episiotomy which honestly wasn't that bad. So although they are saying this one is bigger I'm going to give it a go again. I'd consider getting a second opinion if you can.

coneywonder Sun 31-May-15 20:39:52

Are you on Facebook? If so search for the positive birth movement and read some of the stories posted today

coneywonder Sun 31-May-15 20:41:48

Plus I keep being told again and again by my midwfie that your body will not grow a baby your not capable of birthing but ive not done it yet so may not be wise to listen to me.

SunnyNights Sun 31-May-15 20:53:40

I had a large baby - 11lbs 9oz- I didn't know he was going to be so big and was pushing for an hour before it was suggested I either tried a ventouse delivery or go straight for a section. I had a difficult forceps with my first so went with the section and glad I did as he wouldn't have come out with a ventouse - that's what the surgeon said afterwards shock

I still wonder now what would have happened if I made a different choice that day, am sure it would have been fine either way but does make you think.

If you're concerned with the advice you have been given then ask to see a different consultant for a second opinion, that's your right and you can ask any questions you have thought of since the last appt.

Sparky888 Sun 31-May-15 23:29:11

I don't think it's correct to say his advice is 'extreme'. He is obliged to advise of the risks, more so since recent case law on dystocia. He hasn't said its impossible to have a vaginal birth, just that the risk is higher given likely large baby. I think you're right to go for CS given the higher risk x

ChickenLaVidaLoca Mon 01-Jun-15 11:00:13

Unfortunately coneywonder there is no evidence for that claim at all! It's something that gets said a lot, but the experiences of many women would suggest otherwise.

cherryade8 Tue 09-Jun-15 18:56:34

I'd go for the section, it sounds like the safest option - if they've overestimated the weight then there's no problem still and you could always try vbac if you have a second child!

Having been warned of the potential risks I'd always take the safest route, but maybe I'm just overly cautious and maybe your consultant is too.

Thelovecats Thu 11-Jun-15 14:33:16

Just curious what happened in the end? Hope you're both ok anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now