Hospital nightmare!

(12 Posts)
Cgow Sat 30-May-15 00:25:51

So I gave birth to my perfect angel on Wednesday @ 00:14, I was lucky enough to be given my own room after a back to back torturous labour ending in baby swallowing her own poop due to stress.
I am still in hospital as they wanted to keep an eye on little one but have now been dumped on a ward, before today my baby was progressing well breastfeeding like a dream and I had only heard her cry twice!
The ward I am in is full of inconsiderate bleeps to say the least!
One lady is still sat chatting away on her phone despite me asking her to stop and complaining twice to midwife then the other leaves her baby to scream until the midwife intervened!
This has resulted in myself and my baby being very stressed! She has been upset and would not latch on for the first time so I have had to bottle feed her!
We are not getting any care and I would be 100% better off at home. Are you able to discharge yourself? I will add she was in the neo natal unit until last night but is absolutely fine now, I want to know before I demand the midwife lets me go.
She is due antibiotics to prevent infection there is nothing there currently. I just feel this stress isn't worth it for us!! sad

Roseybee10 Sat 30-May-15 07:34:53

That sounds rotten. I hated being on the ward. I think you might have to stay until anti biotics have been administered though.
How do they know she swallowed the meconium?
My dd passed meconium during labour (also back to back) but never needed anti biotics x

Nolim Sat 30-May-15 07:47:26

Some hospitals have private rooms but charge a fee. Can you afford it?

ShootTheMoon Sat 30-May-15 07:59:54

You have my sympathies. This was my experience (down to my ward mates) until I asked a MW to sit down with me. I'd recommend asking the following:

What is the treatment plan for DD?
How long do we need to stay?
Can we be discharged into community MW or GP care?
I am feeling stressed and sleep deprived because of the behaviour of other people. Is there somewhere I can be moved?

Then take it from there. I was in for 6 days in the end and spent the latter part of my stay in a private room (uncharged) because I was struggling so much on the ward. It was the only thing that saved my sanity!

fattymcfatfat Sat 30-May-15 08:01:24

my brother swallowed the meconium but never needed ab. maybe because he was sick almost immediately?
as for the ward you have to pay for a private room (unless you are lucky and don't have to be moved because it isn't in use)
you can't stop people from talking on the phone, but the mother leaving her baby to scream is ridiculous. no wonder you are stressed. I was in a private room and could hear the baby from the next room. and the mother shouting sad I spoke to the midwife and never heard it again so don't know what happened. it was very distressing though.

OneHandFlapping Sat 30-May-15 08:03:53

The mother leaving her baby to scream may be too unwell to care for it.

This was me many years ago.

KeepOnTryingTilYouRunOutOfCake Sat 30-May-15 08:08:00

Start packing up your stuff, arrange transport. Take yourself and baby to midwife station. State your name and tell them you are going home, and that you will be back tommorow morning for the ABs. You are not a prisoner, and you will feel better in your own home. Good luck and congratulations on your lovely baby.

fattymcfatfat Sat 30-May-15 08:11:19

one if that's the case there is a call button by the bed, or the mw should try to intervene a bit quicker so as not to disturb everyone else who is recovering. the mw at my hospital would do this and any complaints were dealt with immediately. (maybe I'm just lucky, I've been on the ward with DS1 and in a private room with DD and my experience has been fab) it's not just about one particular mother when on a ward, there is everyone else to think about who may have had a tough time to. a bit of consideration would go a long way. if the OP had said that Mum tried to deal with baby then my reply would have been different.

hullabaloo234 Sat 30-May-15 08:16:11

Hi, I'm absolutely not encouraging or condoning leaving the hospital, but when I was in having DD1, after 2 days I'd just had enough and signed a form to discharge myself against medical advice. I knew I was going to stay with my parents for a few weeks as the exchange on my new property was delated meaning I wouldn't be on my own, otherwise I wouldn't have (it was me who was poorly not DD) but I didn't regret my decision for a moment. You need to make a decision that is right for you and your DD and her needs. Congratulations x

nocoolnamesleft Sat 30-May-15 12:56:47

Wouldn't usually get antibiotics for swallowing meconium, but often would for inhaling meconium (which is what tends to get paediatricians interested, as it's really quite nasty stuff for the airways/lungs). Swallowing meconium = a bit pukey, no big deal. Inhaling meconium...well, don't google meconium aspirration syndrome if you're feeling wobbly. The other problem is that one of the causes of being more likely to pass mec is if the baby was developing an infection before being born.

Honestly, it isn't the midwife you need to speak to, it's the paed. Tell the midwife you've got questions for the paed, and really need to speak to them....although I'm afraid there may be a bit of a wait, as they tend to see the sickest babies/kids first, and the stable, on treatment, improving ones later.

22Dee Sun 31-May-15 19:17:29

what she said keeponrunningbutranoutofcake

KeepOnTryingTilYouRunOutOfCake Sun 31-May-15 19:46:57

Thats not my name but nice try grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now