22weeks and 4 days pregnant early stages of labour

(7 Posts)
overstretched101 Fri 24-Apr-15 02:24:58

Hi could really really do with some friendly support!

currently in hospital but here's what happened - passed a gloopy blood stained plug 8pm Wednesday night.

Woke up at 4 am spotting with fairly intense Braxton hicks. Phoned midwife who advised me to rest up, not worry and pop along to her clinic at 1pm. I did and she sent me over to get checked out at hospital.

The Dr here says my cervix is 1cm instead of the average 3.5 and if baby arrives now there is nothing they can do for him. Wont even offer steroid shot as he's not yet 'viable'. I'm still contracting, not painful - just uncomfortable.

Has anyone else been in this position and pulled back from it? Turns out it was a false alarm and babies fine?

Thanks in advance, I'm a bit of a wreck at the moment.

Teapot13 Fri 24-Apr-15 03:14:44

Not myself, but my cousin had premature labor around that time (maybe a few weeks later) and they were able to stop it and she had her baby almost at term. She was on bed rest in the meantime, but at home. I am pretty sure they gave her a shot to stop the labor. (All this was in the US, so different things are done/available.)

An old school friend had an "incompetent" cervix and went into early labor before the baby was considered viable. She had had a stitch in her cervix, but apparently that doesn't always work. She stayed in the hospital for a few weeks and continued to have contractions but they were able to keep the baby inside. She was still born very, very early, but just past the point where she was considered viable. It was a very, very difficult few months, lots of close calls, but the little girl is about 6 and perfectly normal.

I hope you have some good real life support.

Everything crossed for you.

IggyStrop Fri 24-Apr-15 03:22:53

No advice but sending positive thoughts. It must be very scary.

flowers

plentyofshoes Sun 26-Apr-15 10:24:28

I had similar with my second pregnancy. Have a look at the short cervix thread, I got to 33 weeks. I was on bed rest and progesterone tablets. You need to see if your consultant will prescribe them. If not push for them as they seem to work. I know what a worry it is.

nutelladipper Thu 30-Apr-15 18:29:48

How are things? X

lavendersun Thu 30-Apr-15 18:41:59

This happened to me at 19+4. I was living in the U.S. at the time and had magnesium sulphate to stop contractions, upside down bed rest and progesterone injections. I made it to 29 weeks with a few more incidents and 3 day courses of mag sulph.

i hope things have settled down for you OP and you get the best of care flowers.

My daughter is now 9 and very healthy.

Hollymilli14 Thu 30-Apr-15 19:07:09

Try to stay calm as stress will make it worse (I know its easier said than done)
I was 23+4days last year when this happened to me. I was 1cm dilated and my plug had came away along with bleeding (I bled constantly from 13weeks up untill I had her due to a hematoma) I had to stay in hospital for 2weeks, I was given tablets to stop contractions and also kept on cyclogest (which I was also on from the start of pregnancy) I had scans every other day as I was 'beaking' which is apparently when the waters are sat in the cervix..my cervix was measuring 2.5cm long which they were worried about. I was eventually given steroids at 23+5 after me begging for them and then the next lot 12 hours after... I was finally allowed home 2weeks later, but was back in about 3more times over the rest of pregnancy as it kept stopping and starting. But, I finally gave birth at 41 weeks to a very healthy baby girl who surprised us all and my consultant,Drs and midwifes by arriving late...so stay positive! I hope everything goes well for you. Bed rest is a godsend so have plenty of it!!!! Good luck xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now