Early labour or false alarm???

(25 Posts)
Ellie2elysia Fri 29-Aug-14 08:37:58

Posted in pregnancy as well ...
FTM 40+3...

I woke up at 5 with lower back pain that spreads to my stomach, I thought it was just the way I was lying but swap positions and t happened again! I've been keeping times and is comes every 5-8 minutes and lasting around 15 seconds... It isn't unbearable but it does make my toes curl smile...

Could this be the start??? Or is this just my body giving me false signs? I haven't had any signs before this and it isn't braxton hicks...

The pain is more in the back though is this normal!?
How did your labour start???

pinkfizzsparkles Fri 29-Aug-14 08:42:27

Sounds like the start! Both of mine started with period pain every 10 mins.
Keep us posted smile

pinkfizzsparkles Fri 29-Aug-14 08:43:36

Forgot to add yes it's normal for pain to start in the back.

Finola1step Fri 29-Aug-14 08:46:20

Yep, sounds very familiar. Keep mobile. TENS machine on now if you're planning on using one.

Do you have someone with you?

Ellie2elysia Fri 29-Aug-14 08:47:43

I'm trying not to get too excited as I know it can start and stop and early labour especially with your first can take a very very long time! I just hope this is the start, I always assumed the pain would be more targeted to the stomach area but it is starting in my back then as it gets stronger spreads to the stomach!

I see my midwife at 2 so she might be able to tell me whether I am going anywhere or not smile just incase I'm going to try and get a little more rest smile

Ellie2elysia Fri 29-Aug-14 08:48:43

My partner only went to bed at 4 so I decided to go downstairs and when the pain intensifies or gets more frequent and longer I will wake him up but for now I've left him to have his maybe last full sleep smile!

OneLittleToddleTerror Fri 29-Aug-14 08:53:55

Goo luck. Are you on a smartphone? Get an app to count your contractions if you want. You can ring the labour ward for advice how frequent the contractions should be before going in. Then you can wake your partner up when you get close to it. For a FTM it could be a long time!

OneLittleToddleTerror Fri 29-Aug-14 08:54:30

Mine was at the back too. So don't worry.

Ellie2elysia Fri 29-Aug-14 08:56:20

Thank you smile I've been keeping my eye on the time and they are every 5-9 minutes averaging about 7-8 minutes not lasting very long about 15 seconds smile.

I remember my midwife saying every 5 minutes and lasting 45-60 seconds so I believe this is the very very early stage if any smile

WandaDoff Fri 29-Aug-14 08:56:49

Sounds like labour to me smile

Good luck x

Mrsfullhouse Fri 29-Aug-14 08:57:50

Have a warm bath, walk around a bit etc. If they keep going, it's the real thing!!! False starts usually stop if you change activity.
Good luck!!

Ellie2elysia Fri 29-Aug-14 08:59:16

They are still coming when walking, they actually feel more painful when I'm walking not sure why!

Mrsfullhouse Fri 29-Aug-14 09:01:25

Also- let DH have his sleep, he's going to need all that energy to support you through it, trust me... I was a nightmare with my husband and kept waking him up to see if he could feel the contractions. He then spent the whole of the really hard bit yawning and moaning how tired he was, to the point that the midwife offered him a pillow and a comfy chair whilst I was grunting like a constipated pig and desperately trying to contain my desire to punch him repeatedly in the face!!!!!
It's a waiting game... But so worth it! X

Ellie2elysia Fri 29-Aug-14 09:09:49

Haha yes I'm being kind and letting him sleep the last thing I want is a grumpy partner who can barely keep his eyes open!! Won't be much use if that's the case...grin

OneLittleToddleTerror Fri 29-Aug-14 09:12:01

Especially if yours turn into a marathon. I've heard multiple partner/husbands moaning how they couldn't get any rests. The hospital only give them a chair and also no food.

Ellie2elysia Fri 29-Aug-14 09:34:00

Oh they have it sooooooo hard confused haha typical men forever moaning smile they seem to be slowing down now

Mrsfullhouse Fri 29-Aug-14 09:47:34

Are you ready to go into labour? If you're around your due date and fancy giving it a go... Tweak your nipples!!!!! DS1 did the whole 'I'm coming out...Oh wait, no, no I'm not.' three times which cost us a fortune in parking (I was a little trigger happy on the hospital arrival!) so the fourth time I stuck it out... Bounced on my ball for all I was worth and tweaked my nipples whilst watching Midsomer Murders...
Voila! Labour progressed and i was soon in and actually having a baby!
Also. Pack DH some tracker bars and cheese and pickle sandwiches. Nothing more off putting than a moaning bugger when you feel like you're about to poo a watermelon grin

Mrsfullhouse Fri 29-Aug-14 09:49:31

I'm right with you on this... Braxton hicks all morning, but no progress. Going to try and be a little more restrained with this one and not rush down at the first twinges (one occasion of which was trapped wind.... I'll say no more!) x

Ellie2elysia Fri 29-Aug-14 09:50:36

I am overdue now yes 40 weeks +3 days smile so he is due to come out anytime soon... Oh I've got snacks packed haha all ready for his arrival.. Although the snacks are more for me hehe. They are further apart now than before so I've stopped timing I am just going to do what I would do any normal do and get some things done smile and hopefully that will start it off nicely smile

Ellie2elysia Fri 29-Aug-14 09:52:03

The hospital is a 25 minute drive away so will only be making the trip when I am in a lot of pain! The parking is a rip off!

Mrsfullhouse Fri 29-Aug-14 09:54:11

Make sure you have some DCI Barnard on in the background... I'm sure it was John Nettles that did it in the end!
Good luck, keep us posted if you progress xsmile

Mrsfullhouse Fri 29-Aug-14 09:55:21

DCI Barnard??? God damn pregnancy sausage fingers/smartphone combo!!

Ellie2elysia Fri 29-Aug-14 10:00:56

Oh the joys of pregnancy haha I definitely will keep you posted grin

OneLittleToddleTerror Fri 29-Aug-14 10:16:57

Oh 40 weeks isn't overdue. Most babies come in between 38 to 42. So you are just in the second half!

Ellie2elysia Fri 29-Aug-14 19:40:24

Just a quick update, they have become more painful but are irregular coming between 10-13 minutes smile mainly pain is in the back x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now