Length of labour

(10 Posts)
MrsGiraffe12 Wed 27-Aug-14 16:32:40

Even though I've been booked in for ELCS tomorrow I'm curious about natural labour as it's something I've never done, plus if I go into labour before tomorrow I'm "allowed" to attempt it naturally (very unlikely now I know)

The midwives at my trust say go to hospital when your contractions are 5 mins apart.

I'm just curious, generally how long does it take from the start of contractions to get to 5 mins apart? And once they reach that stage does it generally take to get to the pushing stage?

I know it differs from woman to woman but just in your experience x

It varies an enormous amount IME. With my first labour it took about 48 hours and with my second it took about an hour!

Thurlow Wed 27-Aug-14 16:58:19

It takes as long as a piece of string grin

Mine took 36 hours to get to 4cm. For 24 of those hours I was having 3 contractions within 10 mins. I did go to the hospital, they sent me home again because I was only 2cm dilated...

DayLillie Wed 27-Aug-14 16:58:22

Mine started 3 minutes apart both times. The first time, my waters had broken so I went into hospital. I was told that it would settle down as my waters had broken first. It didn't.

I was told to come in at 9am the second time (35wks with twins, 5am) so I said no and went in. Had them at 7.30am.

ShowMeShowMeTheWine Wed 27-Aug-14 20:08:19

Every person is different <helpful>
I was having contractions every 15 mins for 24 hours, about another 12 hours until they got to every 3/4 mins, went to hospital at that point and was 1cm angryhmm.
Took another 6 ish hours to get to waters breaking and 6 more after that for birth.

SociallyAcceptableCookie Wed 27-Aug-14 20:12:55

Five minutes apart took about 15 hours. "Three contractions in ten minutes" is what I was told by my trust, and that took more like 23 hours.

Jenninlw Wed 27-Aug-14 21:12:29

I was told they had to be consistently 5 mins apart so like a wally because they were sometimes 3 mins and then 7 mins and then 5 mins i put off going in as I didn't want to get sent home. It took about 12 hours to get to this point - before that it was about every 10-15 mins sometimes stretching to half an hour. But my waters broke after a big contraction and they went mental and I got to hospital 9cm dilated! Baby born very quickly after that! Anyway they don't have to be exactly 5 mins apart which is what i was waiting for and then it was nearly too late!

MrsBungle Wed 27-Aug-14 21:14:10

Mine started around 5 minutes apart both times. First labour was 52 hours and second was 1 hour 54 minutes!

PenguinsIsSleepDeprived Wed 27-Aug-14 21:19:03

It varies enormously. I was at 5 mins apart for about 36 hours with DD1. I was told not to go in. Whole thing was about 56 hours.

By no.3 it was all too intense to really know (I don't time contractions ) but whole thing done and dusted in 4.5 hours.

angelopal Thu 28-Aug-14 20:04:34

Everyone is different but for me it was quick. First labour was 6 hours start to finish and second 3.5 hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now