Chelsea and Westminster NHS labour ward?

(5 Posts)
bumpitybumpbump Thu 21-Aug-14 16:01:14

Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) that they could share? In particular whether or not you could get your hands on an epidural....I had a lovely epidural for number 1 (15 hr labour and straightforward delivery but with small episiotomy) but am bloody scared of it not being available again! Thank you!

karmakameleon Fri 22-Aug-14 12:23:03

I gave birth there two weeks ago and although all the staff were lovely and overall it was a positive experience I didn't get the epidural I requested as there were no anaesthetists available as the two that were on duty were both in theatre.

Victoria2002 Sat 23-Aug-14 22:50:37

I gave birth there 2 years ago and had an epidural shortly after asking for one, it only worked on one side at first but the anaesthetist returned swiftly to re-site it. He gave me a non-mobile epidural the second time though without discussion so I regretted having it as I felt very hopeless and totally numb during the pushing stage.

LavenderFox Sun 24-Aug-14 08:04:23

C&W is certainly epidural-friendly but they are also VERY busy which can make it hard to get an epidural upon request. On the other hand everywhere else is also very busy so not sure what your alternatives would be really..... I suggest you invest in a TENS machine and practise your relaxation with a good hypnobirthing cd so that it won't be so bad if you have to wait for epidural.

bumpitybumpbump Tue 26-Aug-14 09:41:17

Thanks everyone - I think I will have to invest in a tens machine in that case. And I'll warn my husband that I might not be as calm as last time!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now