Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

bleeding after birth

(10 Posts)
nyldn Wed 20-Aug-14 03:37:12

how long did you bleed after birth?

I had a forceps delivery one week ago and while I'm not bleeding heavily (soaking a maternity pad) I'm still using maternity pads and still having red blood rather than pink or brown.

at what point is this a concern? no big clots being passed. sometime dome small tissue but nothing bigger than a 20p coin size.

lotsoftoast Wed 20-Aug-14 06:19:19

5 weeks. About 10 days of needing to use thick pads, then thin maternity pads from Boots after that. As long as you don't have unusual pain or a bad smell, what you describe sounds normal

blondiebonce Wed 20-Aug-14 06:24:28

4 weeks and it fluctuated a fair bit depending how active I was.

Congratulations! Chill out and don't overdo it- it does affect it!

Shahsham Wed 20-Aug-14 06:26:26

5 days of thick maternity pads then 5 weeks of panty liners (so not a lot of blood loss in one go, just continual)

Willyoulistentome Wed 20-Aug-14 06:30:01

About 5 weeks here too. Forceps here too. Soaking red pads for a couple of weeks then reducing to period levels for a week or two more. Realised at 6 weeks it had stopped. One week is very early days. Good luck and congrats.

About 4 weeks here for a non-instrumental delivery. 1 week is really early. Congratulations smile

3 months with first DC, 4 weeks of heavy bleeding. Haoouly only 6 weeks, 3 of heavy bleeding with DC2. I wouldn't worry at all yet.

nyldn Wed 20-Aug-14 07:17:38

thank you everyone! I thought a week would be early to worry, but wanted to get a sense from others. every woman I'm close to has ha c-sections and I wasn't sure if the bleeding post delivery was slightly different for the two.

feeona123 Fri 22-Aug-14 21:11:36

8 weeks for me! Luckily not had a period yet and baby is nearly 5 months!

Frizz1986 Sat 23-Aug-14 18:48:27

9.5 weeks of red bleeding. Not heavy but still way more than i expected as had been told a week then it goes brown and starts to taper off.
My gp said at 6 week check that after 10 weeks they might want to investigate but mine all of a sudden just stopped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now