Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Postpartum pain from stitches

(7 Posts)
Applesauce29 Fri 15-Aug-14 18:03:34

Hi, I had a episiotomy and 3rd degree tear. Pain was bearable for the first few days whilst on anti-inflammatory but now that the prescription's run out it's really uncomfortable (only on paracetamol and ibuprofen).

If anyone experienced the same birth trauma, when did the pain subside, and when was it comfortable to sit down normally again?

Tommy Fri 15-Aug-14 18:05:05

get some more painkillers from the GP if you can. I really feel for you - blody agony I seem to remember sad

RedLentil Fri 15-Aug-14 18:16:18

You poor thing. That pain is truly awful. Do ask for more painkillers and rest as much as you can - it will take a good few weeks to really feel better and you need to get as much help and support as you can to allow yourself to heal.
Having not taken this advice myself, I am positive it is right. The being brave approach was a bit disastrous. grin
Congratulations on your new baby!

MsSampson Fri 15-Aug-14 18:17:36

urgh. I am pregnant with second (35 weeks) and starting to remember and dread this. I tore but frontward including internal grazing (ha!). I think I was better after ten days and almost pain free by 2.5 weeks?

Things that helped - ice packs, sitting in a shallow bath with lavender and tea tree oil, witch hazel on pads, and hiring a valley cushion from the local NCT. Things that probably didn't help - walking around too much too soon.

good luck - but yes, also more painkillers from Dr if you can.

RedLentil Sat 16-Aug-14 10:20:29

Good luck with the birth Mrs Sampson. I had much less painful experiences with dd1 & dd2. I found the idea of the second birth a bit traumatic after that first experience, but the next two were so different.

RedLentil Sat 16-Aug-14 10:21:01

Argh, I've turned you from Ms to Mrs - apologies!

Applesauce29 Sat 16-Aug-14 16:58:32

Thanks for the advice. Doc closed until Mon but going to call then and try get some stronger painkillers. Will try the other tips in meantime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now