Sticky stuff from c-section dressing - I want it off!

(16 Posts)

Does anyone have any good suggestions as to how I get this itchy, sticky crap from the c-section surgical dressing off?! The midwife suggested nail polish remover, but that's just irritating the crap out of my skin. I don't remember having nearly this much stuff stuck to me after my first c-section...I'm having to peel my undies off!

bonzo77 Wed 13-Aug-14 20:09:15

Surgical spirit? Baby wipes? Baby oil?

KnittedJimmyChoos Wed 13-Aug-14 22:42:17

I thought it was my skin for ages blush in end just with my nail lightly scrapped it off.

romomum Thu 14-Aug-14 00:57:53

just had this myself a nightmare to remove..I've just put some baby oil in it which seems to break it down a bit and stop it sticking to my pants!!!!!! seriously you were told nail polish remover???? xx

I'll try baby oil then. Thanks guys! Yeah - I was hmm at nail polish remover and sure enough it was a little rough to say the least.

Leviticus Thu 14-Aug-14 06:25:14

Mayonnaise removes stickers from windows I'm told...

scottishmummy Thu 14-Aug-14 06:33:06

Congratulations on baby
Try Baby oil,or make up remover use sensitive one
Ouch to nail polish remover

Louise786 Sat 16-Aug-14 18:48:43

If you really can't get it off then there is a special remover for wax strip residue that will do it. It seems to be oil based not alcohol based so shouldn't irritate.

hobbjobb Sat 16-Aug-14 22:40:11

I slowly peeled it if fiver the course of a few days. Was grim.
Please don't put nail polish remover near your scar!

hobbjobb Sat 16-Aug-14 22:40:53

*Peeled it off over the course of a few days*

Well, I tried various oils without success. I googled 'wax residue remover' and found hair conditioner was suggested (I wasn't keen to buy some specifically) so I pulled out all the stops.

I poured nail polish remover onto a Huggies Pure baby wipe which seemed to neutralise the irritating properties and stopped it from running into my scar. I held it up against the sticky areas for a few minutes. Then I hopped in the shower and smeared on a thick layer of hair conditioner and tried not to let it rinse off for a few minutes. After I got out of the shower, I worked gently on the sticky patches with a dry towel and it's now all gone and I have no skin irritation smile Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

workshyfop Sun 17-Aug-14 11:30:02

DP got mine off with gin and cotton wool. But you're sorted now yey!

Fetacat Sun 17-Aug-14 12:21:03

The midwife told me nail varnish remover as well! shock

frankiebuns Tue 19-Aug-14 06:50:24

Keeping an eye on this as have to deal with mine today

LAB123 Tue 19-Aug-14 07:33:26

I left mine for a couple of weeks and it was black with pants fluff! Nice! After that it just scraped off really easily with my nail. Wouldn't bother trying to get it off sooner and nail varnish remover sounds horrendous!

I do think the baby wipe mitigated the sting and irritation of the nail polish remover, though, and kept it out of the scar. It's a great relief to have the sticky black knicker-fluff gone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now