Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Stoke Mandeville or Watford General Hospitals?

(6 Posts)
Gearhart Tue 12-Aug-14 16:42:08

Hi all, I know this topic has been brought up before, but I can't find any recent advice on this. I'm new to the area and have been given a choice about which of these two hospitals to have baby no. 2. Does anyone have any recent experiences about the maternity care in either? I've read mixed reviews on both but all several years old. I had a long labour ending in an ecs with baby no. 1 in UCH but it's too far to return to this time. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Noappointmentnecessary Sat 16-Aug-14 22:27:57

Hi
I'm having my baby at Watford General. I was born there and my sister had 3 kids there. I keep going in and out at the moment as I have gestational diabetes and they are being absolutely fantastic and efficient with me. Good luck with your choice x

BunnyBaby Sun 17-Aug-14 22:40:53

I had DS2 at Stoke Mandeville in Jan 2011 just as the Wycombe birthing centre closed and they were very overstretched. Didn't have a good birth, or postnatal experience. Have opted for Watford General this time and am a lot more comfortable with the choice, due to all the problems having DS2 they recommended ELCS this time, so should be able to let you know next week if my instinct was right. The midwives I have met have seemed more team orientated and experienced at Watford.

bronya Mon 18-Aug-14 15:38:26

I had DS at Stoke Mandeville in 2012. They were v busy but everyone was lovely. I had an inexperienced MW but the second she wasn't sure she called someone in who did know what they were doing, and the care we received was good. I had stitches and they were perfect, comfy and no infection at all. Not so great for CS patients though as not enough night staff so often no one to answer the buzzer. If they had more staff, it'd be a really lovely place. Just overstretched a bit really.

BunnyBaby Tue 19-Aug-14 18:02:31

Bronya, that's lucky she sought advice, mine didn't, and told me baby wasn't posterior (when contrary to this she wrote he was in my notes!) and casually said, oh, but it's No 2 when I went bananas after she's been telling me to push for 2 hours as he was scanned at 10lb and I made it very clear, any sign of posterior and I wanted an epidural to see if I could relax and he'd turn like No 1 did.

I was induced at Stoke and had a 26 hour labour without seeing a single doctor, so in my case I was really unhappy. I can cope with inexperience, if they escalate as appropriate, but this one I had didn't and thus would have perhaps been bordering on negligent, and not listening is not a quality I would seek in a midwife. Luckily we were both OK as I demanded the consultant be called as soon as I found out her dishonesty (at changeover).

Had an awful postnatal experience too at Stoke following short staffedness. They took baby 'to settle him' kept patting him off to sleep for 6 hours, I naturally fell into a deep sleep following EMCS and PPH. When he awoke he was hypoglycaemic, I'd been happy to feed hourly, but I guess they thought easier to keep him with them at midwife station. They then gave him formulae and wouldn't let me go home. They seriously sent me into PND. I could have coped with poor labour or poor postnatal care, but both were just too much.

In the end we left the minute they had the correct blood sugars for him at 3am.

I'm not saying everyone will have such an experience as that was simply mine, but this was my 2nd child and the outcome could have been worse had it been my 1st as I would have trusted her more. I also know others who've had good experiences, but another in my postnatal group was left so late for section there was no blood in the cord when they finally got her son out.

bronya Fri 22-Aug-14 21:04:16

I don't think anywhere is perfect though - a friend went to a different hospital near us, had the newborn check with her baby, and they sent the baby home with a 'missed' cleft palate. Another friend (also not at Stoke) had her stitching job botched up so badly she had to go in to have the whole thing re-done before her next child. If I had the money, I'd have this baby privately, but sadly it's the roulette of the NHS again - will we have a decent midwife, will someone be available if I need an epidural, will they be any good etc etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now