Big weight loss after birth - normal?

(16 Posts)
teacupnic Sat 09-Aug-14 20:04:47

I'm totally not complaining about this, but wondering whether it's normal. I'm 2 stone lighter than when I had my booking appointment with the midwife at 9 weeks pregnant. I knew I would lose some weight (my son was nearly 10 pounds!) but for some reason I'm having slight anxiety that something is wrong.

I'm guessing it could be a combination of factors - about a week in hospital on their rather rubbish food, having a baby that breastfeeds like crazy and probably eating a bit healthier during pregnancy.

Anyone else had this and can put my mind at rest?

ShadowStar Sat 09-Aug-14 22:07:12

Do you know what your weight was like at the end of your pregnancy compared to when you had your booking appointment?

teacupnic Sat 09-Aug-14 22:20:33

I don't unfortunately, I hate weighing myself. I did towards the end of pregnancy - perhaps around 32 weeks and had only put on about a stone. It may be useful to add (and meant to in my post) that I'm a big lass to start with (embarased to say size 24 type big) so this may allow for losing a bit more than 'normal' size ladies.

Gen35 Tue 12-Aug-14 17:52:06

If you feel run down, ask you gp to do a blood test but I certainly lost about 25 lb by the time dc1 was a week or two old - a lot of fluid and blood, weight also fell off when bf. I do think people's experiences can vary hugely.

ColdCottage Thu 14-Aug-14 19:07:13

I have lost 3 stone but still have 3lbs to go before I get to pre pregnancy weight.

Unfortunately I was the heaviest I have ever been when I fell so want to lose another 3 stone to get to the weight I was when met DH. Just a size 12/14 plus is I want another baby in 3 years I need to be thinner and strong or my back might go again like this time. I'd like to be able I walk with my second baby.

MrsSpencerReid Thu 14-Aug-14 19:12:12

There was a poster in one of tw rooms i had appts in and it have te weights of things like amniotic fluid, extra blood volume, placenta, extra boob etc, I'm sure it came many kg!!! I think there is a list in the what to expect book too. I lost 10kg just by having a baby and that was before bf etc

ohisay Thu 14-Aug-14 19:17:57

you're 2 stone lighter than at booking appointment....would it be fair to say, two stone lighter than pre pregnancy then? if you are breastfeeding that would explain some of it. are you more active than before now you had baby? taking baby for walks all adds up :-D if you feel unwell in any way though, I would certainly get a check up with your gp :-)

LairyPoppins Thu 14-Aug-14 19:54:03

I am also a larger woman - was a size 20 when I had my twins 5 years ago I had out on 7 st in the pregnancy. I lost 3 stone in the first 2 weeks and was ack to lighter than pre- preg weight on their 1 st birthday. And I didn't try at all - ate lots of cake in fact. I did ebf them though, which definitely helped.

Am having a section tomorrow with DC3 - hoping for the same again. I need to lose 5 st to get back to my goal weight.

RevoltingPeasant Fri 15-Aug-14 15:51:09

Op I am 15+4 and looked recently at how much I might expect to gain during pg.

For a woman with a healthy bmi, it was about 25 pounds, so losing that would be about right. I guess it just depends how quickly? Couldn't see how old your baby is, sorry!

RevoltingPeasant Fri 15-Aug-14 15:52:14

Oh sorry just woke up and realised that was 2 stone in addition to pg weight! Ignore me blush

MsBug Fri 15-Aug-14 15:57:49

I lost quite a bit of weight, i think the factors people mentioned such as walking more with a baby than at my desk job, breastfeeding. I suffered from nausea then heartburn in pregnancy and could never eat much. For me i think a big factor was not drinking alcohol, it contains a lot of calories and pre pregnancy i would drink a glass or two of wine, or a pint of beer most days.

ImATotJeSuisUneTot Fri 15-Aug-14 16:02:31

What was your appetite during Pg?

I ended my pregnancy a stone and a half lighter than id started it because I'd had little-to-no appetite for nine months, so I, as a person, had lost weight.

MewlingQuim Fri 15-Aug-14 16:09:50

I lost 1 1/2 stone after dd was born and ended up quite skeletal. I got so scared I went to the gp and he ran loads of tests. Nothing wrong at all.

Having a newborn uses up a lot of energy, I was up and walking about pretty much 24 hours a day, pushing the pram or carrying dd in a sling, eating when I got a moments peace (not often) and bfing on top of all that. I suppose in hindsight the weight loss wasn't abnormal at all!

I made an effort to eat more regularly and get more rest and my weight stabilised. I'm still lighter than pre-pregnancy but creeping back up to normal.

teacupnic Fri 15-Aug-14 17:00:41

My son is only two weeks old - I mentioned it to the midwife and she didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about. I feel healthy enough and think that the only reason it's continuing after the birth is I'm breastfeeding, not drinking any alcohol and trying to eat fairly well.

It must just be what my body has decided to do post-birth. Meh, not complaining.

ChickenFajitaAndNachos Fri 15-Aug-14 17:06:13

I was 13 stone 5 pounds the day I gave birth and 10 stone 6 pounds after 6 days. DS was 9 pounds, I just assumed it was fluid.

BeyoncesCat Fri 15-Aug-14 18:30:00

Nearly 3 stone down! I was admitted to hospital after chest pain tiredness night sweats to name a few! They ran several tests discovered I have an over active thyroid due to pregnancy, which has later been confirmed as Graves' disease. Have you had a blood test yet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now