Home birth

(11 Posts)
Helenrose81 Wed 06-Aug-14 18:19:25

Although my midwife is more than happy to administer pethidine for pain relief at home, none of the gps at the drs I am registered will prescribe it. The midwife has told me as they can no longer get it from a hospital I can't have it. Has anyone else been in this position? I am 37 weeks pregnant. Any advice is welcome!

emsyj Wed 06-Aug-14 18:27:44

I've never been in that position (or had pethidine!) but just wondered if paying a private doctor or clinic for a private prescription may be an option?

OutDamnSpot Wed 06-Aug-14 18:30:53

I was told gas and air only when I had HB and I didn't look into it so I can't help.

Is this first labour? Do you feel strongly you want pethidine as an option? Which would "win" if choice was HB or pethidine?

Helenrose81 Wed 06-Aug-14 19:25:03

It's my 2nd, 1st was born hospital and I had it then, I just feel if I know it's my back up it will give me peace of mind, but by refusing to dispense they are limiting my choice of pain relief. The community midwives I have spoken to are completely happy to administer it. I have experienced a lot of negativity from doctors towards my choice for HB, even tho my 1st was very straightforward

OutDamnSpot Wed 06-Aug-14 20:35:37

Tricky then if advantage of being more relaxed at home is undermined by worry about lack of pain relief options.

I don't think I know anyone who has had pethidine at a HB but will check. Could local NCT offer any advice?

lizhow14 Wed 06-Aug-14 22:00:30

Hi,
I can understand why they wouldn't want you to have pethidine at HB due to the risks it can pose to baby (breathing) if given too close to delivery. I'm planning HB for 2nd (didn't get my first one) I think just being in my own environment will help me with pain but also doing hypnobirthing and having a pool. check out www.homebirth.org.uk for more info on pain relief at home x

PenguinsHatchedAnEgg Thu 07-Aug-14 22:13:05

I understand many mw's are also uncomfortable with pethidine at home birth. I can understand why a gp would not want to prescribe it.

I think in honesty you just need to accept the limitations and decide which matters more.smile

gillyweed Fri 08-Aug-14 12:20:11

I had a homebirth for my first and was told no pethadine from the get go. My friend who lives about 7 miles away was offered it for her homebirth - I think it may depend on the nhs trust as we would probably fall under different ones.

I agree with the above;which is more important to you, homebirth or pain relief. for me personally I was fine with a pool and gas and air at home, had I been in hospital I would probably have taken something stronger, the theory being you labour more comfortably at home.

I'm going for a 2nd homebirth in a few months, hopefully!

MsBug Fri 08-Aug-14 12:25:30

why not start out at home, and ask to transfer in if you need stronger pain relief?

Helenrose81 Fri 08-Aug-14 13:56:06

Thanks for the replies. I think the thing that has upset me most was two separate midwives employed through the practice assured me it would be simple to request, yet all 8 doctors at the surgery refuse to prescribe. I really only wanted it for back up, intending to use natural pain relief. Sometimes I think the knowledge you have another fall back is enough to stop panic setting in. Xx

squizita Fri 08-Aug-14 14:42:04

A midwife I know explained why - the GP she uses gives her the 3rd degree as to home security etc' every time she gets some. She is completely happy to use it and considers it normal for home births (she is London based).

It's because it's an opiate.
The kind of thing that gets stolen for sale to heroin addicts!! shock
The GP was concerned about such things in a domestic fridge for a few days, if the wrong people knew about it or whatever, could pose a risk to the MW and mother's home security and safety.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now