Does this mean a giant baby?

(15 Posts)
squizita Mon 04-Aug-14 14:02:24

34 week scan - under consultant care as on clexane and there's a small risk of prematurity or small baby.

shock Not in my case. Baby measuring (in proportion, healthy) pretty much to 36+ weeks!!
They said they wouldn't need another growth scan because while she's big, she's within the realms of 'normal' and totally fine to birth normally on my care plan.

Of course I am over the moon that she isn't tiny and that even if she comes early she won't be excessively small but... I'd never mentally prepared myself for a BIG baby!!

Any reassurances from folk who had a bigger baby than expected? Just rather taken aback!

loudarts Mon 04-Aug-14 14:14:37

Ds2 was 10lb, not sure where he was hiding as my bump was measuring 2 week under lol. Generally unless there's a big difference in weeks a big bump doesn't necessarily mean a big baby.

olivo Mon 04-Aug-14 14:17:31

After weekly growth scans following medical issues, I was told to expect. Baby of about 9 1/2 lbs so when 7lb2 DD arrived, I was quite surprised! They're not always right!

Waggamamma Mon 04-Aug-14 14:28:23

I was measuring slightly under with ds (only by a cm) but never had a growth scan. I never had a massive bump and my mums babies were 6lb 6ox and 7lb 7oz. He surprised everyone by arriving 9lb 1oz!

My labour was pretty straightforward but long, started midnight Monday, was 5cm by lunchtime Tuesday and he arrived at 3am on Wednesday. I was very tired by the end and he ended up a ventouse delivery as I was struggling to push but only had a few stitches and no lasting damage.

I'm measuring slightly over with this baby at 35 weeks I'm 1-2cm over, so I'm worried about a particularly large baby this time, particularly the labour and delivery. GTT all fine and midwife doesn't seem concerned.

It doesn't sound like your measuring off the scale, and growth scans aren't always very accurate.

squizita Mon 04-Aug-14 14:37:49

Thanks all!

My DM was very reassuring too... she said all her babies (bar me, I was teeny) have been 'long' and she was 'long' when she was born- and that she thinks the weight + shape helps babies 'slide out under their own weight' so her labours were pretty normal. Right thing to say, DM, thanks! smile smile

squizita Mon 04-Aug-14 14:40:05

...I had a look at the actual graphs and thankully I seem to be up by the 60% mark, not the 90% mark. Big enough to be of no worry but as you've all reassuringly said by no means unusually large.

Just a bit of a shock as I usually get the 'small babies are mostly fine these days' chat given my history... evidently a chat no longer needed. smile

mummybare Mon 04-Aug-14 14:48:06

I agree with your mum! DD was 9lb9oz and long and I think, because I was upright during labour, her weight helped speed things up.

I had a relatively quick, straightforward labour, so a larger baby is not necessarily a bad thing smile

littlejohnnydory Mon 04-Aug-14 17:31:11

My second was 10lb 4oz and no problems with labour, she was born at home naturally. Labour actually easier than with her 8 1/2 lb ish siblings. Growth scans are notoriously inaccurate though (they didn't predict my big baby!)

PenguinsHatchedAnEgg Mon 04-Aug-14 17:55:08

There is some evidence that big-ish babies birth more easily because they put the right pressure on the cervix iirc.

I don't think weight itself means much. After you've done the head and shoulders, the baby could be average length or massively long and it would make no difference. Likewise position and head shape matter so much more than weight.

My three have all been big. First one was a bugger to get out because of poor positioning, but the other two were fine.

CarbeDiem Mon 04-Aug-14 18:20:50

Midwife told me bigger ones help themselves through the pushing stage. They 'stick' with each push where some smaller ones slip back a little.

My growth scan prediction was pretty much spot on with my last. At 36 weeks they told me to expect an 11 pounder - he was born at 40=5 weighing 10lb 15 so not far off.

CarbeDiem Mon 04-Aug-14 18:21:58

40+5 that should say - stupid shift button.

Buntie Mon 04-Aug-14 19:08:32

After growth scans I was told I was having a big baby and to expect a 10pounder. My son was born weighing 8lb. . Scans not always accurate so don't be overly concerned.

Hazchem Tue 05-Aug-14 06:21:18

Ds was big and came out no problem. Position is really key for birthing. So making sure baby is facing the right way and well into your pelvis.
Spinning babies has some daily exercises you can do. I'm doing them most morning DS joins me and they are called baby stretch ups. I tend to do them in my PJs before getting dressed properly.

squizita Tue 05-Aug-14 11:19:29

Hazchem I do yoga and birthing ball excercises ... been advised they keep the baby in a good position. Thankfully, scan also showed she is consistently head down touches wood. Will keep them going!

slightlyconfused85 Fri 08-Aug-14 13:45:12

I measured under for my whole pregnancy, and even when I was in labour the midwife was telling me the baby was 'definitely no bigger than 7lb!'. She popped out at 8lb 7.5 so not huge but big enough!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now