pregnancies after c-section

(5 Posts)
zazA09Jane Sun 03-Aug-14 00:09:55

I had a c-section 14 months ago with my first baby, I know after 1 c-sec you can have a vbac so I was wondering when I heard if youve had sections its not recommended to go beyond 3/4 pregnancies.. does this still apply if you have one c-sec and natural births after that? or is it only if you have all c-secs?

DitzyDonkey Sun 03-Aug-14 02:30:45

I think that only applies if you have all c sections!

Lally112 Sun 03-Aug-14 02:39:47

As far as I am aware its because of the scarring caused by multiple sections. I was Told this because although I have never had or needed a section with any of mine I have had 3 abdominal surgeries that have left keloid scarring 11mm thick in some parts which is enough to interfere with the operation and the healing process of a section.

The doctor who first made me aware of this was a cow, her exact words were "if you need an EMCS you are going to cause me lots of problems" Cue crying down the phone to my friends mum who is a midwife who arranged for another consultant to explain in detail to me.

theborrower Sun 03-Aug-14 12:31:09

I'm not sure, I think it's after multiple CSs. I've just had a VBAC but was swithering about aiming for that or booking for a CS. I was asked to consider how many children I'd like as that could influence my decision. I have 2 children.

SomeSunnySunday Sun 03-Aug-14 18:41:39

I also think that the recommended 'cap' on pregnancies is after multiple c-sections, although even one c-section will increase your risk of uterine rupture (notwithstanding that you may have subsequently have had a VBAC, i.e. This risk is still there for subsequent VBACs).

That said I have had 2 c-sections and am now expecting DC3 - everyone, including my consultant, seems very relaxed about 3 c-sections (and/or about the possibility of a VBA2C, which apparently carries no more risks than a VBAC after 1 c-section).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now