Independent Midwife

(14 Posts)
ShovettyMcShovetty Fri 01-Aug-14 16:59:05

I am thinking about using an Independent Midwife for a hospital birth. I know that they usually do homebirths, but have found some locally who will attend at a hospital birth as well. Just wondering if anyone has done something similar?

The reason I am thinking about this is because I am terrified of a traumatic NHS birth where I don't know the midwives and they leave me and DH on our own a lot. I am also positively phobic about unnecessary intervention (forceps mainly but also vacuum) and would love an expert who knows me on hand to advocate for me if needed.

lizhow14 Fri 01-Aug-14 19:51:35

Hello,
Where do you live? I have a one to one midwife (google it) which is basically an independent midwifery service on NHS-excellent continuity of care. They unfortunately can't accompany you into hospital but if you decided you wanted a home birth (you definitely won't have unnecessary intervention there and if you did need to transfer in you would know it was absolutely needed and trust their decision as you know them and they know you!) they would be there and also see you 6 weeks afterwards. Unfortunately only available in some areas (not mine but I managed to get GP referral to my midwife who was independent until this year).
Another alternative would be a doula. You would also get to know her, she would be at the birth whether at home or in hospital, she would provide support and be your advocate and also support you after the birth. There are some fantastic ones about and they cost a lot less than IMs.

lizhow14 Fri 01-Aug-14 19:52:38

Hello,
Where do you live? I have a one to one midwife (google it) which is basically an independent midwifery service on NHS-excellent continuity of care. They unfortunately can't accompany you into hospital but if you decided you wanted a home birth (you definitely won't have unnecessary intervention there and if you did need to transfer in you would know it was absolutely needed and trust their decision as you know them and they know you!) they would be there and also see you 6 weeks afterwards. Unfortunately only available in some areas (not mine but I managed to get GP referral to my midwife who was independent until this year).
Another alternative would be a doula. You would also get to know her, she would be at the birth whether at home or in hospital, she would provide support and be your advocate and also support you after the birth. There are some fantastic ones about and they cost a lot less than IMs.

KatharineClover Fri 01-Aug-14 19:56:41

Although an IM can attend a hospital birth, I believe they are not allowed a medical role within hospital and are essentially a very expensive doula?
I have been advised to deliver in the consultant led unit - I have a doula who will be with me, she is wonderful smile

scottishmummy Fri 01-Aug-14 20:07:10

Be aware the IM you hire cannot instruct clinical staff,nor are the nhs staff compelled to act on her requests
Yes the IM can be your advocate
Talk to the team managing your care,let them,now your concerns

Minifingers Fri 01-Aug-14 22:12:08

My IM came with me to hospital when I transferred in from a homebirth. We were told that she wasn't allowed to act as my midwife when we arrived but actually I felt that she and the NHS midwife worked as a team to support me.

YOU have to consent to every treatment being offered, and you can do so or decline to do so after consulting with your IM midwife.

And it's NOTHING like having a highly paid doula. I completely trusted my IM to help me make decisions about my care on the basis of our relationship and her expertise as a midwife.

The practice I used is no called Neighborhood Midwives if you want a recommendation - Tina Perridge. She's ace!

ShovettyMcShovetty Sat 02-Aug-14 08:30:56

Thanks all.

The reason I am thinking of a IM rather than a doula is because the IM offers antenatal appointments leading up to the birth and she can also come to my home before the hospital and can help me stay at home longer than I would have the confidence to do without her; my plan is to stay at home as long as possible but have the baby in hospital. I am scared that if I show up at hospital late, in established labour the hospital might send me home anyway as they are so used to FTMs coming too early. Hopefully if my IM is with me she can explain exactly how far along I am to the hospital.

liz I live in Surrey and I hadn't heard of one to one MW care. Will look it up. It is such a shame they can't come to the birth with you though.

ShovettyMcShovetty Sat 02-Aug-14 08:32:19

Also thanks Mini for the recommendation. I will look them up.

scottishmummy Sat 02-Aug-14 11:02:45

The hospital will undertake their own assessments etc,they'll not rely on an IM to tell them how it is
I hope you also find own voice too,as opposed to IM talk for you.can discuss concerns pre-birth?
Best wishes and i hope things go ok.do meet with mw discuss your anxieties,get them to explain procedures,and in what circumstance intervention is considered. At the moment the sheer fear of intervention is probably enormous. I think if staff can explain process,to you it'll help

ShovettyMcShovetty Sat 02-Aug-14 19:41:48

Thanks scottish.

I will of course talk things through with my NHS MW regardless. The problem is that she won't be at the birth.

Chelseagran Sat 02-Aug-14 19:50:26

You can do a postcode search on the Independent Midwives website for your local IM www.independentmidwives.org.uk/ It is well worth talking to a few because some are able to look after you clinically in NHS hospitals. I know that Annabel Bryant has contracts to do this at a couple of London Hospitals but this may be too far for you.

scottishmummy Sun 03-Aug-14 19:51:05

Best wishes for your birth,don't over plan it,you'll get instruction,and just go with it
iM as an advocate,is great idea,in that she can liaise with staff,support you
It's a team thing,with you at the centre

Ask nhs mw to talk through potential outcomes with you - understand what could happen in what situation

DrownedGirl Fri 08-Aug-14 00:14:45

I had exactly that for two of my births (twins in hospital and a singleton where I was induced with high bp)

It made a huge difference having them there, ESP as across these 2 pregnancies I had consultant appts, scary scans, trips to antenatal monitoring, beeech baby turning, emergency admissions, inductions, readmissions, tongue tie.

They were fantastic. Rene schwenke and sally harley

www.neighbourhoodmidwives.org.uk/our-senior-team.php

Another vote for Tina Perridge here. I only used her postnatally and she was an angel who totally saved my breastfeeding relationship.
If I ever have dc#2 I will ask her to come to the birth.
Although they cannot do anything medically they can advise and help and if you get the right one, they work closely with the midwive, not against them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now