Enough reason to call midwife??

(15 Posts)
MrsGiraffe12 Thu 31-Jul-14 06:47:08

Just after some advice really.

Yesterday I ended up calling midwife as little one wasn't quite as active as usual. Was still getting movements but not as much or to the same pattern as usual. Was advised glass of ice cold water and to lie down left lateral for a while and to go in if this didn't trigger movement in 20 mins. Well true to their word baby became active again, then again after dinner a few hours later too.

Fast forward to today. I've been awake since about 5 am with back ache, not too disimilar to one I'd get when having period pains, and pressure similar to that when needing a poo. Now, I went to poop about 3am ish so I know it's not constipation / needing a poo. Only way I can seem to ease it is swinging / rocking my hips.

And as silly as this sounds, I can't tell if what I'm feeling in my tummy is baby moving or Braxton hick as when baby rolls my whole tummy goes solid but don't always feel movement due to an anterior placenta.

Should I be calling the midwife on the basis of the back ache and pressure like I need a poo? Would they be annoyed at 2 calls in less than 24 hours?

I'm 34+4 by the way, 2nd baby, DC1 born my EMCS at 32 weeks so no idea at all about this stage of pregnancy or even labour :-(

MsBug Thu 31-Jul-14 06:49:46

I'd call if i was you

whatadrain Thu 31-Jul-14 06:51:14

If you are concerned you should call!

kilmuir Thu 31-Jul-14 06:54:12

Yes, they can advise

MrsGiraffe12 Thu 31-Jul-14 06:56:33

See I don't know if the back ache is just because I'm so big now! Will give them a call when community office opens at 8am, I don't feel comfertable calling the labour suit when it's a "non urgent" query x

GalaxyInMyPants Thu 31-Jul-14 07:07:46

Back ache and period pains could be early labour. Which at 34 weeks is a very good reason to be calling them.

Chimchar Thu 31-Jul-14 07:09:51

agree with Galaxy.

better to phone and be checked out than leave it and go into full labour because you didn't want to bother anyone. x

angelopal Thu 31-Jul-14 08:11:37

My labour started with me feeling the need to poo and having a sore back. she was delivered 6 hours later.

Give them a call.

Amy106 Thu 31-Jul-14 08:25:57

Please call them. They are there to help you.

feeona123 Thu 31-Jul-14 08:41:45

Don't bother with community midwives. Phone hospital!

If you need to be monitored you will need to go to hospital.

I went in with reduced movement and sat on a bed for 20 mins on the monitor. Labour ward will be very used to this!

squizita Thu 31-Jul-14 13:24:22

Phone the hospital.

Just apocryphal but a colleague described exactly this once (she sat with me while I was having an ice water and a panic... all OK baby went back to normal) but in her case when she got to hospital... she'd skipped half of 1st stage labour - the 'hardenings' were the contractions opening her cervix and she was 5cm - baby out within a couple of hours. Not her 1st, didn't happen before or with her next. Her baby was a little early too.
I'd be down there like a shot having them look at your cervix!

squizita Thu 31-Jul-14 13:26:04

PS. The labour ward have ALWAYS been lovely to me when I have called with non-urgent things (pain, spotting etc'). They are quick and efficient but tell you the right thing to do.

MrsGiraffe12 Fri 01-Aug-14 13:22:10

Hi all. Just to update on the thread. I'm current up antenatal day assessment on advice of midwives etc. All seems normal on ctg and they are hoping to send me home soon. However, they think I may have an infection of some sort so have taken bloods and wee and will get back to me :-)

Thecircle Fri 01-Aug-14 13:24:00

I have birth when 34+4, and labour started exactly how you describe.

My waters were trickling too.

It's always best to get checked out

you did the right thing going in to day assessment. always best to be safe than sorry. That's what day assessment is for. Does sound like a urinary infection, so some medication and plenty of fluids and keep baby cooking for a bit longer.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now