maternity pads

(23 Posts)
amy83firsttimer Sat 12-Jul-14 07:56:52

Hello. These delightful items came up in conversation between my pregnant best friend and me (also pregnant) last night. We want to know roughly how many a day we can expect to use and for how long.

theborrower Sat 12-Jul-14 08:23:07

My baby is 2 weeks old and I've used a zillion about 8 packets so far. Get a couple of packs of the super huge ones to start with (comfy if you have stitches) then you can probably swap to the thin ones. I started off with the boots ones then got tesco and realised they were identical but a fraction of the price.

TeaAddict235 Sat 12-Jul-14 08:31:22

I got through about 6 a day for 2 weeks, then dropped to about 2 a day by 4-6 weeks. I bathed or showered everyday in the first 2weeks then every other day after that to aid the stiches.

ouryve Sat 12-Jul-14 08:35:12

They don't have to be "maternity" pads, btw - that's just marketing. Big, absorbent night time towels are fine - just check they're not scented.

MildDrPepperAddiction Sat 12-Jul-14 08:39:23

Don't get tesco ones. They gave me a rash. Ouch.

GobblersKnob Sat 12-Jul-14 08:50:05

For me these were the king of post birth pads, you will find that all the cushioning is essential for a bruised and battered fanjo, they are like sitting on a little pillow of happiness grin

I went through a pack or so a day for the first week or so, then gradually less.

Also consider either disposable or super cheap pants for the first few days after birth, mildly wasteful but there is nothing like just chucking the whole pant pad combo away and replacing with everything fresh, bear in mind you are usually super sweaty for a while, trying to wrestle damp pants back on over an uncooperative, aching, wobbly body, makes for much post-partum tears and swearing wink

HeavenK76 Sat 12-Jul-14 19:13:16

I've bought myself some incontinence pants and pads
heard good things about the pads as they soak up well.

StampyIsMyBoyfriend Sat 12-Jul-14 19:15:44

Sanitary towels are not recommended as they can mask odours & Infections

HeyMicky Sat 12-Jul-14 19:19:35

As a contrast, I didn't bleed after the first day. So it might not be lochia hell

dreamcatcher44uk Sat 12-Jul-14 19:33:00

I changed every few hours / when I went to loo for the first week. Tbh didn't need to change that much but wanted to for hygiene. Changed to normal pads after a week and a half. In total I used about 4 packets (40 pads). I took 2 packets to the hospital just incase. Stopped bleeding completely by week 3. Found the maternity ones great for cushioning my sore bits in the first few days of giving birth.

At the risk of sounding strange I used tena lady big ones. They lasted much longer than ordinary towels and soaked up loads.

<goes to hide>

Notfastjustfurious Sat 12-Jul-14 20:02:28

I recommend avoiding the boots ones, they leaked at the sides after an hour or so. Used 2 packs of those and I'm done but I had a elcs and that's made the bleeding much less - day 12 and it's all over smile which just makes the boots ones even worse and their disposable pants sizing is on the small side.

In general expect the worst and stock up, first af can be pretty heavy too so you'll definitely use them.

Mummycherry2 Sat 12-Jul-14 20:19:06

I quite liked the superdrug own ones and used about 8 packs in 2 weeks. When the bleeding started to tail off I used tena lady long pads as my bits were getting quite hot! Particularly good to remember if your due soon... It's also really important to have a bit of time letting the air get to your bits after showering etc so shut the door and ban all from entering and lie on the bed for half an hour or so if you can!!

TurquoiseDress Sat 12-Jul-14 21:11:39

I bought the Boots ones before baby arrived- 3 packs of thick ones and 3 packs of thin ones.

Had a CS but still bled a lot in the first week or so, changed about 4 times a day with thick pads...but it was more that I wanted to rather than being soaked through.

Then went into the thin ones with wings, bought from Tesco as much much cheaper

CulturalBear Fri 18-Jul-14 16:48:06

Get at least 4 packs more than you think you'll need - if your waters break before labour starts, you will go through at least two before you've even had the baby.

<the voice of bitter experience when I realised I'd practically run out after 3 days and could only find blooming sanitary towels in all the nearby mini supermarkets and pharmacies within walking distance>

The padding looks grim, but is lush, you can also put certain essential oils on them to help calm down bruising and soreness...

LuluJakey1 Fri 18-Jul-14 17:00:12

I am going to sound very naive here- am 16 weeks pregnant with 1st baby- but why do you bleed after a caesarian? It never crossed my mind that would be the case.

TarkaTheOtter Fri 18-Jul-14 17:11:05

Start with the maternity pads, then after the first few weeks you can swap to regular/nighttime pads. The maternity ones are more padded and have a cottony top so they don't snag stitches.

LouisaJF Fri 18-Jul-14 17:13:52

I can recommend the Asda ones. Cheap, comfy and absorbent.

Jemimapuddleduk Fri 18-Jul-14 17:13:54

I bled a lot after my c section- think it was 6 weeks till it stopped totally! It's all the womb lining and stuff still coming away after 9 months of growing.

marmitelover Fri 18-Jul-14 17:15:41

Random tip if you have stitches or sore fanjo is you can put your pads in the freezer (in a bag and not for too long) and the relief is amazing !!

CaterpillarInvestigationTeam Fri 18-Jul-14 19:27:06

Lulu the bleeding is the breakdown of the linings of the womb and waters but mostly it's from the wound site left from the placenta coming away (it's about the size of a dinner plate), you'd have this regardless of mode of delivery smile

SouthDerbyshireMamma Sun 20-Jul-14 17:42:12

I gave birth last Saturday and I've gotten through 4 packets so far excluding the ones I got at hospital. I've tried various brands but get on with Boots the best. Others just made me sweaty and uncomfortable.

Victoria2002 Sun 20-Jul-14 22:56:26

I used half a pack of the Kotex detailed above, only 1 per day, nothing dramatic. Used the other half of the pack mopping up breast-milk! I had an episiotomy & ventouse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now