anyone had a caesarean where the surgeon had to cut through the placenta?

(4 Posts)
mummytalk27 Fri 11-Jul-14 20:06:48

Placenta is low and anterior, am wondering what others experiences were in the same situation.

Silvercatowner Mon 14-Jul-14 18:16:35

I don't think they do - you risk catastrophic bleeding, the placenta is very vascular.

CaterpillarInvestigationTeam Mon 14-Jul-14 21:11:38

No surgeon would ever knowingly cut into a placenta, you and baby would be at a huge risk of massive haemhorrhage and oxygen deprivation. If a Caesarian is unavoidable then they'll move the location of your incision either up to the sides (think making a smiley face mouth more smiley on one side) or perform an adapted vertical cut from your belly button.

I really think you need to get back to your obstetrician and have them reassure you smile

susannahmoodie Mon 14-Jul-14 21:18:15

I Had a low anterior placenta and had a big bleed at 39 weeks. I was admitted at 36 weeks due to placenta praevia but then discharged as I was wrongly told it was clear....

Anyway in my debrief the surgeon said they did have to cut through the placenta to get to baby. It was all v quick though, between initial incision and baby and placenta being out. I didn't require blood and the baby was fine.

I was told low placentas are tricky so you'll get an experienced surgeon, the best available, and much better if planned, mine was emcs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now