Has anyone had babies very close together (less than a year), and what has it done to their body?

(5 Posts)
BettyFriedansLoveChild Thu 10-Jul-14 12:18:47

I have had two children, DD1, who is 2.5; and DD2, born two months ago but died when she was three days old, due to complications that are hopefully unlikely to recur again. I am desperate to be pregnant again as soon as possible - the consultant has indicated that I can probably starting thinking about ttc in another month or so. This could mean two babies only a year apart. Has anyone done similar, and what has it done to their bodies (particularly their stomach area?) After two EMCS my stomach muscles are thankfully still together and quite strong, but am worried about what a third pregnancy in such short space of time might do. Not keen on putting off ttc for too long, as am 38 and we would like a smallish gap between DD1 and a living sibling. I keep reading horror stories about abdominal separation after close pregnancies, and would really like some reassurance.

BeanyIsPregnant Thu 10-Jul-14 12:29:10

I'm really sorry about your loss flowers

I had/ have abdominal seperate on after my first dc, didn't really get a chance to do anything about it as I'm now due with dc2 and there will be 18m between them.. I think to me is be weighing up the options of waiting for my body to 'catch up' / not wanting a massive age gap / your age! A decision and compromise only you can make! Good luck!!!!

angelopal Fri 11-Jul-14 20:21:34

Sorry for your loss. I lost dc1 at 4 days old. It took 3 months for af to return and got bfp on 4th cycle. Dc2 is now 4 months old.

Never had any stomach muscle problems each time. Had a bit of pelvic pain each time and still get a few twinges which may be due to pregnancies close together. Both mine were vb so not sure if that makes a difference.

Not sure if you have had any support from SANDS. There are ttc and next pregnancy groups on their forum so might be worth posting on their.

Hope all goes well whatever you decide.

Whatsonemore Sun 13-Jul-14 19:27:47

So sorry for your loss thanks

I had my ds2 and dd1 just 10 months apart - it was exhausting emotionally but physically I held up ok - had some cramping for the first few months from stretching as muscles were already lose from ds2.
Dd is now 15 months and I'm 17weeks with dc4 - I have found this one much harder to be honest. Constant stomach aches and back pain - however that could also be because of looking after the others.

Fingers crossed for you x x x

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Wed 16-Jul-14 20:03:22

Hi there. I had 2 pregnancies within a year for similar reasons. DD1 was stillborn (at 41 weeks) on 13 March 2011 and DD2 was born on 9 March 2012, so almost exactly a year. I am so sorry for your loss and can clearly remember the driving need to be pg again.

Physically, the biggest issue was pelvic pain from SPD. I had it while pg with DD1, and gave birth lying on my back, feet braced on MWs' hips, which exacerbated it. Was in a lot of pain in pg no 2 as a result, which kept recurring afterwards as well. When DD2 was about 18 months, I got pg for a third time and had SPD almost immediately. I was in so much pain that I went to a private physio who realigned my hips, which helped immeasurably.

DS is only a week old so I'm not sure how well I'll bounce back this time! DD1 was a VB and DD2 and DS ELCS. I had no issues with separated stomach muscles - think at my 6 week check after DD2 I had a 2 finger gap which you would never notice. Not sure what it is this time yet.

Good luck going forward - I wish you a speedy conception and uneventful pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now