Newborn in nicu with breathing problems

(11 Posts)
Plumviolet Wed 09-Jul-14 07:58:57

We had a beautiful dd on Monday by elective c section at 37 weeks. We took her out early due to a previous stillbirth and the consultant was happy to do this with the necessary precautions, 37 wks so officially at term, baby measuring big for dates, steroids beforehand etc.

When she came out she was 7lbs 8 and looked great, big loud cry when they delayed chord clamping and waited a minute. When they brought her over to the station she started going blue and floppy and they called the paediatrician. They whisked her away and she has been in nicu in an incubator since. She is breathing in her own but she's working really hard. She's got a drip and they are feeding her with a tube of ebm and dextrose. She is on 30% oxygen.

I am so scared. Has anyone experienced this? They have put me in my own room because I have no baby and I just don't know what to do with myself. I managed to hold her for the first time yesterday, they put a cannula in her nose and she latched in for a bit which was wonderful. She finally felt like she was mine but I miss her so much.

Anyone? They have mentioned respitory distress syndrome and transient tachypnea of the newborn. We should have kept her in for longer... Sob.

MavisDee Wed 09-Jul-14 08:08:21

Hi plum, firstly congratulations on your new daughter, I am sorry you are going through this tough time. My DD was EMCS and came out not breathing, she breathed on her own relatively quickly but was in NICU for about a week while they checked her out and also for an unrelated infection. My biggest advice is to keep talking to the neonatal nurses and midwifes, they are fab at 'translating' what the doctors say, who all though are amazing at their jobs can sometimes lack empathy and what they say can sound very scary and confusing- in my personal experience. Just try and remember she is in the best hands so try and rest to keep yourself strong. X

Plumviolet Wed 09-Jul-14 08:09:45

Thanks Mavis. Is your daughter ok?

MavisDee Wed 09-Jul-14 08:11:54

Oh and I was also in my own room, it can make you feel a bit funny.. Like, oh god everyone feels awful for me! But just make the most of it! These things can happen to anyone, I'm sure it was nothing to do with the decisions you made. Right now just focus on resting and keeping positive x

MavisDee Wed 09-Jul-14 08:13:01

Cross post- yes she is a brilliant 1 year old with absolutely no signs that she ever went through such trauma smile

Plumviolet Wed 09-Jul-14 08:21:49

Ok, that's a relief. Thank you, sitting here fretting is just awful. So glad she is ok. smile

MavisDee Wed 09-Jul-14 10:15:37

Remember you can visit her whenever you want - just ask the midwife and they will help you down. Sometimes I just needed to rest though, that's important too. Hope things are feeling more positive as the day goes on

Annietheacrobat Wed 09-Jul-14 22:17:49

Plum - how is your baby doing today?

Plumviolet Wed 09-Jul-14 22:26:06

She's getting better, they took her out of the incubator and put in a cannula this morning and by this evening they removed the cannula. She is now breathing unaided which is wonderful. She also latched on to breastfeed too. She seems to have turned a corner, fingers crossed I may get her in my room tomorrow. So happy but don't want to jinx it so we'll see how she gets on tonight.

callamia Wed 09-Jul-14 22:30:22

Plum, this all sounds very positive.
My son was born at full-term and had a similar issue - his lungs were still wet and he couldn't get enough oxygen. He spent a few days receiving a small amount of oxygen and antibiotics (suspected, but unconfirmed, sepsis), but was allowed out after four (very long) days. He's none months old tomorrow, and shows no signs of being remotely bothered by his early adventure. I hope tomorrow goes well, and I hope you're both discharged soon!

Annietheacrobat Wed 09-Jul-14 22:35:18

Fantastic news. So pleased to hear it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now