Driving and recovery after c section

(12 Posts)
moomin35 Tue 08-Jul-14 19:35:17

How soon after your c section did you drive? And how long generally was it before you recovered?

lauless Tue 08-Jul-14 20:23:24

I drove after six weeks - check with your car insurers though... I found the recovery took to a slow start, but then got surprisingly quick. Take it easy though - I did a couple of big walks a bit too early on which completely wiped me out. However, in general I've been amazed by the body's power to heal!

Mrsgrumble Tue 08-Jul-14 20:25:18

About six or seven weeks. I wasn't able to before then.

Thisismyfirsttime Tue 08-Jul-14 21:00:54

I could have driven from week 1 but I didn't feel brave enough to drive with baby until week 4 or so!

MrsWombat Wed 09-Jul-14 07:18:47

I think I could have driven from around 2 weeks last time, but didn't until baby was 6 weeks. I'll definitely be driving earlier this time as it will be a lot easier to drive than walk the school run! Double check with your GP and insurance though.

Meglet Wed 09-Jul-14 07:29:04

6 weeks each time. AFAIK the insurance thing is a myth but internal wounds take longer to heal than you realise so I wasn't going to do anything to put myself at risk. 6 weeks without driving is a small price to pay for being healthy and safe!

beccajoh Wed 09-Jul-14 07:30:25

Didn't feel ready/safe until 5.5/6 weeks both times.

Flixy102 Wed 09-Jul-14 11:34:45

I drove after 4 weeks as my DH went back to work and I had no choice but I actually felt fit and able and probably could have done so a week earlier.

idontlikealdi Wed 09-Jul-14 12:32:19

4 weeks - but check its ok with your insurance. I could have driven sooner but they stipulated 4 weeks.

Annietheacrobat Wed 09-Jul-14 22:17:12

I drove at 4 weeks.

Tricycletops Wed 09-Jul-14 22:28:58

I drove after 2.5 weeks. I was seeing my GP for something else and asked about it; she said "as long as you can do an emergency stop" so I sat in the car on the drive and checked I could stamp on the brakes. I did ring my insurer but they said that the GP's opinion was all they needed. I'm not sure if the car being automatic helped though!

Hippopotamousse Thu 10-Jul-14 12:50:28

My insurance company said 6 weeks (we asked as we had to phone them anyway about our renewal). I felt like I could have driven earlier. In terms of your recovery, don't push yourself too hard and get lots of rest. I was surprised how quickly I recovered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now