Help needed - Is this the starts of labour...?

(10 Posts)
Chasabeth Mon 07-Jul-14 16:52:56

Hi guys,

I do need some advice as I'm kind of a little confused & concerned. This is my first baby as I'm sure you can imagine!
I've had a 'show' last night which has continued most of today, a bit like the start/end of a period (sorry for the info!). That wouldn't normally worry me but since about 7am I've had back pain and pain round my hips and bottom of my tummy that lasts about 30 seconds, then goes for about 10 minutes, although the pain in the small of my back is the worst of it. It hadn't been getting any closer but it's been getting more uncomfortable and doesn't go away if I walk around or try and relax. I called the labour ward this morning and the midwife I spoke to was quite dismissive, just told me to take some tablets and ignore it which isn't very helpful. My midwife is on holiday otherwise I would call her. Just going to try a bath to see if that helps.
I know things are different as yesterday I was out for an hour and a half dog walk, cleaning, cooked a roast etc and now I'm pacing, not quite sure what to do with myself.
Any advice would be great xx

Ilovefood15 Mon 07-Jul-14 17:15:30

Hello,

Sounds like it could be the start of labour! I had this..started 9pm Friday DS was born 7pm Saturday. I called the ward and they told me to have bath etc pains got that bad I just turned up at hospital and they said we will send u home if nothing is happening, turns out I was 6cm dilated and he was born 3 hours later

Good luck and keep us updated (-:

Ilovefood15 Mon 07-Jul-14 17:16:24

Forgot to say I went for a long walk at around 1pm Saturday morning, not sure if that helped

Pregnantagain7 Mon 07-Jul-14 17:18:31

It certainly sounds like things are starting to happen, how pregnant a are you?
I'm sorry the midwife was dismissive but unfortunately this could go on for a while i know it's really hard but try and distract yourself go for a walk, watch a film, get a friend over to chat to.
In an ideal situation your contractions will get stronger and closer together but don't get disheartened if it takes a while try and rest labour will be bloody hard worksmile
Good luck keep us informed! Sounds like this could be it not long til you meet your little one smile

Chasabeth Mon 07-Jul-14 17:59:53

I'm 39+5, my due day is the 9th so this may be the starts of things.
I've tried a bath which hasn't helped, walking around etc doesn't help either. It's just funny it's in my back mainly. I thought that it would be my stomach but I guess you never know. My last midwife appointment he was 3/5 engaged, that was 2 weeks ago.
The pain is very slowly getting more uncomfortable but not any closer together. I'm not going to try a hot water bottle as tablets isn't touching it xx

Pregnantagain7 Mon 07-Jul-14 19:23:15

Ooh things are sounding good!! Fingers crossed for a nice quick labour for you then, I started at 3pm with my first and she was born at 4.44 the next morn. Hopefully you will be a mummy by the morning smile

Pregnantagain7 Tue 08-Jul-14 09:28:25

Ooh hope it's gone quiet because things progressed and your having newborn cuddles smile

Chasabeth Fri 11-Jul-14 11:33:29

Hi guys,
Sorry I haven't posted before hand.
So pleased to say that my little boy Harry was born on Monday at 11.05pm. Long story short they had to break my waters at 9.50pm and he was here pretty quickly. Xx

Pregnantagain7 Fri 11-Jul-14 13:35:32

What lovely news! Congratulations thanks

Finola1step Fri 11-Jul-14 13:38:00

Congratulations flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now