Two third degree tears - would you risk a third pregnancy?

(6 Posts)
Onelittlepiglet Sat 05-Jul-14 17:23:32

This is purely hypothetical as I have a 5 week old (!) but I'm just wondering what people think.

I had dc1 - a fairly straightforward labour, but a third degree tear (I think 3a as they did think it was a second degree at first). Sewn up all fine, took a while to feel 'normal' but didn't have any further issues.

Dc2 arrived after a two hour labour (!). I didn't have to push it all, it just happened. I had another tear and it was found to be third degree (again though it was a second degree but is a 3a). I am feeling ok, not having any issues so far (but realise I could in the future).

So, would you risk a third pregnancy, and if you did, would you have an ELCS? Has anyone else had two third (or worse) degree tears and gone on to have a third baby?

I'm worried because I know I/we could well want a third baby at some point, but feel that my body might not be able to do it all again. And I'm not sure I would want an ELCS....but couldn't really risk a vaginal birth again!

lighteningmcmama Sat 05-Jul-14 22:02:21

I'm expecting dc3. I had v v bad experiences of healing postnatal, first with episiotomy second with a tear. I just figure I healed last time hopefully I will this time too. At least I know what the worst is like...Oh, and currently booked into birth centre.

lighteningmcmama Sat 05-Jul-14 22:03:40

By the way that isn't meant to dismiss your valid fears and concerns. I just wanted to ask the questions you asked from my own personal perspective.

Onelittlepiglet Sun 06-Jul-14 07:29:56

Thank you - didn't think you were being dismissive at all!

That's very positive that you are booked into the birth centre - I think I am just worried from a conversation I had with a doctor (when they were stitching me up!) about how bad risking a third, third degree tear would be.

I guess I should stop worrying and worry when and if the comes! But I am interested ow may other people have had two third degree tears and gone in to have another child.

slightlyinsane Sun 06-Jul-14 16:39:50

Don't let it stop you. In my 4pregnancies I had 3rd 1st then 3 2nds. Can't say about the last time yet but I've had no problems what so ever and never had any medical person say it would be an issue to have anymore. I think I've had more stiches in my bits than it would take to put a jumper together ;-)

Fairylea Sun 06-Jul-14 16:43:00

I had a very difficult birth with dd and my episiotomy didn't heal very well and I had a lot of issues with it. I swore I would never have another baby ever again..... 10 years later I had ds but had several consultant appointments during which I said I would sue them if they put me through another vaginal birth as I found the whole thing so traumatic and it would cause me great mental distress.

So I had an elective section. Best choice ever for me. I found recovery much easier to be honest - at least I could sit comfortably!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now