Haemorrhage after c-section - so scared

(24 Posts)
Derbydolly Wed 25-Jun-14 21:11:36

My friend's sister had a c-section followed by massive blood loss. She's still in theatre 4 hours later as they haven't been able to stop the bleeding. She's having blood at the same time. I'm so scared for her and my friend is beside herself. Has anyone been through this themselves or with relatives? Surely it's really bad that they've not been able to stop the bleeding?

ChaffinchOfDoom Wed 25-Jun-14 21:13:28

thanks
hope she's OK

VivaLeBeaver Wed 25-Jun-14 21:13:46

The chances are she isn't bleeding all the time. More that they can stop the bleeding by clamping a uterine artery but when they unclamp it starts again.

They'll be trying everything they can to avoid a hysterectomy which is why its taking so long.

Derbydolly Wed 25-Jun-14 21:21:03

Thank you vivalebeaver, that's really helpful to know. Feeling a bit helpless at the mo!

Derbydolly Wed 25-Jun-14 21:22:20

Thanks chaffinchofdoom. So scary

VivaLeBeaver Wed 25-Jun-14 21:27:08

The way to look at it is after 4 hours she must be relatively stable. They'll have everyone they need there, consultants called in, etc. all blood products and drugs going in.

Derbydolly Wed 25-Jun-14 21:46:32

Yes, true. Hopefully I'll hear some positive news tonight. Hoping and praying!

Rachie1986 Wed 25-Jun-14 21:48:38

Hoping everything's ok xx

Derbydolly Wed 25-Jun-14 22:01:46

Thank you. Using MNers for some much needed support over a long night!

rallytog1 Wed 25-Jun-14 22:19:16

Yes. I had a similar loss after an emcs. Had a transfusion while on the table and some more while I was in recovery. That was 14 months ago and I'm fine now.

She probably be under general anaesthetic, so won't know anything about it. As a pp said, it's unlikely to be one continuous flow of blood, and they will be doing everything they can.

When it's all over, she will feel the after-effects for several weeks. You feel like you've been hit by a bus after such a large transfusion, even without the 'joys' of c section recovery. I remember dissolving in a sea of tears after about three weeks because I just couldn't remember how to heat up some baked beans! So maybe start thinking of whether there's anything practical you or your friends can do to support her and her family.

Thinking of your friend - do come back and let us know how she is and feel free to dm me if you have any questions about recovery etc thanks

AnotherStitchInTime Wed 25-Jun-14 22:23:17

Sorry to hear that derby. I will pray for her.

I had placenta accreta and percreta where my placenta grew into my bladder and lost 7 litres of blood, more than my total blood volume. I was in theatre for 5 hours and had an emergency hysterectomy, but didn't have to go to intensive care. I was home after 5 days. They will be doing everything they can.

lucjam Wed 25-Jun-14 22:25:55

I lost a majority of my blood soon after a section (4 litres into 8 drain bottles). They wil be doing everything that they can, like someone else said they will try and avoid a hysterectomy but if it comes to that it should do the trick. They mentioned it to me but it didn't come to that.

Got my fingers crossed for her. Is there someone there supporting the babys father?

Derbydolly Wed 25-Jun-14 23:02:01

Yes, Lucjam, my friend is down there staying in the family room with sister's husband. They had to do a hysterectomy which I'm so sad about, but at this stage it's just about making sure she's around to see that baby. And thank you Rallytog1, she is going to need so much support. But first she needs to get through tonight- she's critical at the moment. Thank you all for your comments, it really helps to see others have been through similar. X

lucjam Wed 25-Jun-14 23:07:15

Thinking of you all. Poor love, and her poor husband. Hopefully tomorrow will bring some positive news. Take care x

AnotherStitchInTime Wed 25-Jun-14 23:16:00

Glad someone is with her DH, mine was in bits and had to look after a prem newborn while I was in surgery.

Was it her first child derby?

Recovering from a hysterectomy with a newborn is tough. I am happy to talk about my experience if it helps.

Derbydolly Wed 25-Jun-14 23:41:38

Yes it is her first baby. Poor thing. Poor, poor girl. Can't sleep so I'm just looking round mumsnet to keep busy. Feel a bit calmer now she's out of surgery at least but just keep thinking about the hard road she has ahead. Very grateful to be healthy and have two kids upstairs asleep (even though DS will undoubtedly be awake soon for a feed!) it's so scary what can go wrong.

1944girl Thu 26-Jun-14 00:21:12

Praying for your friend's sister Derbydolly.

AnotherStitchInTime Thu 26-Jun-14 00:27:25

Poor woman sad I think if I had gone through that in my first labour and birth I would have been much more traumatised. She will benefit from counselling when she is ready, pnd and PTSD risk higher after traumatic birth.

Derbydolly Thu 26-Jun-14 01:33:16

Yes, I think she'll need lots of help to recover mentally and physically. Just seen some pics of the beautiful, beautiful baby and feeling a bit teary. She'll be so proud when she gets to hold her which I hope will be very soon. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

rallytog1 Thu 26-Jun-14 10:58:10

So sad to hear this Dolly - I hope the night has brought better news and she is off the critical list. It's heartbreaking but it sounds like she and her family are well loved and supported, which will be crucial in the days, weeks and months ahead.

AnotherStitchInTime Thu 26-Jun-14 12:00:16

How is she and you today derby?

Derbydolly Thu 26-Jun-14 21:54:48

Hello folks. Things seem a little brighter today. Mummy is doing a lot better and has met her baby. The hospital has moved her from ICU to a delivery room so she can be with baby. We don't want her beautiful baby's birth to be tinged with sadness so I think for now, we are celebrating the positive. Not to ignore what has happened, but there'll be plenty of time to deal with that. I think lots of support will be needed in days, weeks, months, years to come but at the minute we're so thankful that baby has a mummy. I can't tell you how it helped to talk to you last night- kept me sane! Xx

Dovahkiin Thu 26-Jun-14 22:19:27

That's such great news, and glad it was a positive outcome. She's lucky to have such a supportive family with her. xxx

AnotherStitchInTime Thu 26-Jun-14 23:53:47

Really glad she is doing better and has met her little one. Glad talking helped you too.

If she ever wants to talk about her experience with someone who has been through it you can point her in my direction.

Also Hope for Accreta and FB might help her, I found reading other people's stories helped me to know that I would get through it, especially in the early days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now