abdominal muscles after two crash sections - is there any hope?

(3 Posts)
BettyFriedansLoveChild Mon 16-Jun-14 17:24:54

Had my second crash section six weeks ago (first one was just over two years ago). I know its still early days, but my stomach still looks really bloated and soft, and I'm sure it wasn't this bad with my first baby. I'm usually quite slim and fit, stomach eventually went flat again after the first, but I'm older now and worried that I am going to look saggy forever. My baby died after the section (a whole other thread), so I want to get fit again as soon as I can, partly for my self-esteem, but also so I can carry another pregnancy healthily in the near future. This (hypothetical) third baby will also need to come out via a section - will I have any hope of getting my abdominals back after that? Its not just a matter of vanity, its also about wanting to be strong and physically fit - I hate the way that I feel floppy and weak right now. Have anyone (apart from Victoria Beckham) managed to maintain good abdominal strength after three c-sections relatively close together, and what is the secret?

BunnyBaby Mon 16-Jun-14 21:16:25

Firstly so sorry to hear of your loss, my thoughts are with you.

I haven't had 2 sections (1VB and 1EMCS) and didn't want your thread to go unanswered.

I found that although I walked a lot and lost the weight between the 1st (VB), and the 2nd (EMCS), this didn't make the biggest of changes to my overall strength and health. Prior to this 3rd pregnancy I did a huge amount of swimming which strengthened my pelvis, and stomach in a way which put little wear and tear on the abdominal separation I had (9lb and 10lb babies), as such, for pregnancy 3, I feel in better shape than I did for 1 and 2. However although I feel well, I still have stretch marks and a CS overhang, but that is more than compensated for by the easy pregnancy this time. I doubt I'll ever look as I did pre-any of the pregnancies, but I did really improve my tummy and overall health more between 2 and 3 than 1 and 2.

Again so sorry to hear of your loss.

1944girl Tue 17-Jun-14 00:55:31

So sorry about your loss.

I have had two crash sections and my tummy was in a better condition after the second one than the first one.
Last time was 1972-yes I am that old- and both done with the classical incision so no overhang.
I had a reasonably flat tummy until I hit the menopause when all my fat stayed around my waist and abdomen so my tummy is no longer flat and that scar is still there!.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now