breech baby and c-section

(9 Posts)
RRRJ83 Fri 13-Jun-14 11:47:36

Hi everyone, we found out this week our baby is breech. Had an unsuccessful ECV a couple of days ago and now a c-section is booked for a week on Tuesday.

I was looking for reassurance/advice really on how to prepare and recover from those who have been through an elcs. I was expecting a normal spontaneous Labour but baby has other ideas!

Is there anything I should buy in preparation, like a cesarean belt? Pills? Creams?

I also live in a first floor flat so climbing stairs is a must, especially if I want to get out for a walk with baby. Husband is going back to work after two weeks, do you think that I will be able to take a pushchair up and down the stairs when he returns to work? Family are 5 hours away so definitely no help available but really don't want to be struck indoors all day!!

I am supposed to be attending a wedding 5 weeks after the c section. It's a 6 hour drive away, do you think this is likely? Will I be ok to travel?

Thank you. X

qazxc Fri 13-Jun-14 21:23:12

I'm in the same boat, breech baby/section in 5 days.
I don't think you would be able to lug a pushchair up and down stairs after 5 days. I don't think you're meant to lift anything heavier than the baby for 6 weeks. How about a baby carrier or stretchy wrap?
You should be OK to travel after 5 weeks, but may not be able to drive yourself (check the small print of your car insurance).

MumOfTheMoos Fri 13-Jun-14 21:25:20

Pushchair up and down the stairs, no, I'm afraid.

But wedding at 5 weeks, as long as you're not doing the driving, it should be OK.

CocktailQueen Fri 13-Jun-14 21:27:19

No, you won't be ok humphing the pram up and down stairs after 2 weeks! Can you leave it downstairs? Or use wrap, such as kari-me?

Yes, you should be fine to travel as passenger. Not to drive 6 hours. But that is a v long time to be in car with newborn. They're not supposed to spend too much time in the car seats and you will need frequent stops to feed and for a break.

RRRJ83 Fri 13-Jun-14 21:46:37

Thank you. Yes, we have planned the journey already with lots of stops and long breaks, out of the car seat for baby. Was wondering more about the position I would be sat in for an hour or so at a time.

Thanks for the reassurance about driving though. Shame about the pushchair and stairs, there's no room to leave chair downstairs unfortunately, so will look into a wrap option! Good suggestion.

AllBoxedUp Fri 13-Jun-14 23:43:53

Big pants for after the op are a must as normal ones sit on the wound. Lots of maternity pads too so you can use them inside your pants to cushion the wound and keep it dry.

A carrier is really good. I think I've just overdone things at 4 weeks putting the pram in and out of the car so wouldn't advise lugging it up and down stairs at 2 weeks. I've been using a rucksack as a nappy bag so would recommend getting a decent one if you don't have it already. My nappy bag clips onto the buggy which is great if I'm using it but the shoulder strap isn't so good if I'm carrying it.

AllBoxedUp Fri 13-Jun-14 23:46:25

I really like my Wilkinet carrier - it holds like a wrap but IMO is easier to put on and is less got in this weather. Only downside is you have to take it all off to get the baby out.

peeapod Sat 14-Jun-14 10:12:58

highly highly recommended for carrying your baby with a wrap is to seek out a sling library in your local area. After having my baby by c section I was worried about the sling slipping and hurting me. It was only by speaking to a babywearing consultant that I had the confidence to carry. it really gave me the freedom!

I also found that having a side carry changing bag with the sling just hurt my back. i use a backpack now and its great. also try to reduce what you carry in there when you are out with baby because you are not meant to carry anything heavier than them in the first 6 weeks..

I think the best thing you can do is plan as much as possible to avoid doing anything in the first few weeks, especially with housework. When your oh goes back to work make sure you have got food and meals planned and in the freezer during his time off. or get micro meals in.

Seriously, it was the best thing in the world not to have to worry about anything apart from my baby during this time. See if you have friends/ relavtives willing to pitch in with washing, cooking, housework. it really makes the difference.

take it very easy though. Going out is really tough, and especially on your own after a c section. just do a few short journeys and see how you go.

The less you exert yourself the easier the recovery will be. take it easy smile

(have you heard the trick about using a sanitary towel to stick in front of your knickers to keep the wound dry in the hot weather... strange but it works smile

RRRJ83 Sat 14-Jun-14 11:54:48

Thank you guys! Great advice, had not heard of slinglibrary but will Google today.

Also interesting about sanitary towel wound protection! Would never have thought of that!!

I didn't even consider the changing bags, so thank you for that too. Argh, there's a lot I haven't a clue about. My husband is applying for more weeks off, so fingers crossed he will get it.

X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now