My waters broke at 35+3. I was monitored in hospital for 48 hours and then sent home to wait. I'm now 36+3 with no signs of labour (apart from niggles that keep stopping). At my local hospital SCBU is currently full and labour ward/theatres are usually full with a queue. Next nearest hospital is 3/4 hour drive away. I had a C-section at 35+3 with my youngest (DC4) and ended up with PTSD and he was in NICU/SCBU for 4 weeks. My consultant says that the best way of avoiding C-section/scbu is to wait for natural labour but it could take weeks.
Induction will mean being admitted to the antenatal ward for 3-5 days while I wait for a labour ward bed to become available, then go straight to drip (can't have pessary because of previous C-section). C-section will be a bit quicker, on antenatal ward for a couple of days, nil by mouth, only being allowed to eat and drink from 11pm to midnight.
Both options sound awful but at the moment I'm not having much fun either. I'm going in for monitoring twice a week which yesterday took hours and I had to bring 2 of my children with me. I'm so tired and uncomfortable and I still have morning sickness. DH has had to go back to work so I'm looking after 4 DC's who are all under 8 and trying to put the house back together as it got into a complete state while I was in hospital. I'm desperate to get this baby out but I know I'll regret choosing induction/C-section later. It could all kick off tomorrow but on the other hand it could be weeks.
What does your MW suggest? Have they said how long the will let you go before inducing/doing a c-section?
I'd be wondering about moving things along otherwise whatever happens by the time the baby arrives you are going to be completely knackered...I've got X3 smallish DC's to look after and thats wearing enough let alone 4 with trips to the hospital. If you do decide induction or c-section I don't think you should be hard on yourself and regret it.
But you still have 4 weeks until term? If you can keep baby in until then isn't it less likely he or she will need to go to SCBU & therefore you can be home quicker. Is there anyone who can offer some help at home? It sounds like you are dealing with a lot & just want baby out but its probably in the safest place right now.
That must be so hard for you, i struggle being pregnant with 1 DC sometimes! Could you get in contact with your health visitor? There is a service they offer post birth to help with household things, maybe they would help you before the birth as you are struggling?
A friend of mine got her labour going (after trying all of the usual stuff - clary sage oil, ball bouncing, walking, nipple stimulation etc) after 5 days of her waters going by having someone do the Bowen technique on her. Her contractions started that night and she had the baby naturally. She'd had a previous section too so induction not really an option.
Just thought I'd update to say that I went into hospital with bleeding on 12th June and baby born on 13th by cat 1 C-section at 36+6. We both had infections, baby was on cpap in NICU while I was in HDU. The midwife said later that by hanging on I'd improved his chances and worsened mine. He is doing very well and I'm slowly getting there.