don't know what to do

(11 Posts)
elliejjtiny Tue 10-Jun-14 13:29:06

My waters broke at 35+3. I was monitored in hospital for 48 hours and then sent home to wait. I'm now 36+3 with no signs of labour (apart from niggles that keep stopping). At my local hospital SCBU is currently full and labour ward/theatres are usually full with a queue. Next nearest hospital is 3/4 hour drive away. I had a C-section at 35+3 with my youngest (DC4) and ended up with PTSD and he was in NICU/SCBU for 4 weeks. My consultant says that the best way of avoiding C-section/scbu is to wait for natural labour but it could take weeks.

Induction will mean being admitted to the antenatal ward for 3-5 days while I wait for a labour ward bed to become available, then go straight to drip (can't have pessary because of previous C-section). C-section will be a bit quicker, on antenatal ward for a couple of days, nil by mouth, only being allowed to eat and drink from 11pm to midnight.

Both options sound awful but at the moment I'm not having much fun either. I'm going in for monitoring twice a week which yesterday took hours and I had to bring 2 of my children with me. I'm so tired and uncomfortable and I still have morning sickness. DH has had to go back to work so I'm looking after 4 DC's who are all under 8 and trying to put the house back together as it got into a complete state while I was in hospital. I'm desperate to get this baby out but I know I'll regret choosing induction/C-section later. It could all kick off tomorrow but on the other hand it could be weeks.

LittleCatA Tue 10-Jun-14 14:52:08

What does your MW suggest? Have they said how long the will let you go before inducing/doing a c-section?

I'd be wondering about moving things along otherwise whatever happens by the time the baby arrives you are going to be completely knackered...I've got X3 smallish DC's to look after and thats wearing enough let alone 4 with trips to the hospital. If you do decide induction or c-section I don't think you should be hard on yourself and regret it.

But you still have 4 weeks until term? If you can keep baby in until then isn't it less likely he or she will need to go to SCBU & therefore you can be home quicker. Is there anyone who can offer some help at home? It sounds like you are dealing with a lot & just want baby out but its probably in the safest place right now.

elliejjtiny Tue 10-Jun-14 16:34:35

Thanks. I'm worried that choosing induction or C-section will be worse than what I'm doing now. No help available so I'm struggling on my own.

That must be so hard for you, i struggle being pregnant with 1 DC sometimes! Could you get in contact with your health visitor? There is a service they offer post birth to help with household things, maybe they would help you before the birth as you are struggling?

elliejjtiny Wed 11-Jun-14 19:10:09

I've already asked about that and apparently there isn't anything like that in my area, although if I decide to take up heroin social services might help me hmm.

Seriously considering the drip now, will start a new thread about it.

LadyGoneGaga Sat 14-Jun-14 08:05:08

A friend of mine got her labour going (after trying all of the usual stuff - clary sage oil, ball bouncing, walking, nipple stimulation etc) after 5 days of her waters going by having someone do the Bowen technique on her. Her contractions started that night and she had the baby naturally. She'd had a previous section too so induction not really an option.

www.bowen-therapy.co/bowen/articles/gallery-img/original/MIDIRS-Nov2011-bowen-midwifery.jpg.pdf

LadyGoneGaga Sat 14-Jun-14 08:06:29

And by the way you DON'T have 4 weeks to wait until term. You are considered full term from 37 weeks, no significant difference in outcomes from 38 weeks.

elliejjtiny Sat 21-Jun-14 17:11:14

Just thought I'd update to say that I went into hospital with bleeding on 12th June and baby born on 13th by cat 1 C-section at 36+6. We both had infections, baby was on cpap in NICU while I was in HDU. The midwife said later that by hanging on I'd improved his chances and worsened mine. He is doing very well and I'm slowly getting there.

Really glad to hear you are both on the road to recovery. Sending healthy thoughts your way & hoping your both home soon x

BellMcEnd Sat 21-Jun-14 18:47:17

Congratulations! flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now