Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Giving birth with possible vaginal scar tissue?

(15 Posts)

I have just read that it can cause problems and may be a reason for a c section.

I didn't know this and have kind of ignored what I think is scar tissue from previous episiotomy or tear from ds birth 2 years ago. It is still painful to have sex and I've put it out of my mind as I wanted a homebirth.

Anyone had this and given birth vaginally again? Or know about whether it really does cause problems?

Argh I just want to cry!

mrsdicko90 Thu 05-Jun-14 13:05:05

I had an eipsiotomy with my first, stitches came undone and I healed without any. When I had my second I mentioned the scar and they said all will be fine, baby was bigger and he got stuck but finally came out, with a second degree rip in the exact same place. Refused stitches as I was scared it would hurt :/

Now I'm WTC and I have my mind set on a csection.
I had a repair operation down there three years ago, so I can't give birth and undo it alp x

CarCiKoTab Thu 05-Jun-14 13:10:18

I had a episiotomy with my first, which required stitches. I've continued to have 2 more V/B since and didn't require a episiotomy or stitches second and third time around.

Thanks, this isn't just about having had an episiotomy though but more the fact that it is still painful after 2 years and feels like its splitting open when I have sex. Not sure if it's where episiotomy was or whether another tear or what but I'm almost certain it will split again there.

mrsdicko that sounds stressful, are you confident you will be allowed a CS this time around?

babblingsofbecks Thu 05-Jun-14 13:46:58

I had an extended episiotomy (3rd degree tear) first time. Easy birth with small second degree tear second time and easy quick birth with a couple of stitches third time. I talked over my birth plan with a consultant midwife before my second child., which helped. They said I could have a home birth too but I opted for hospital.

CarCiKoTab Thu 05-Jun-14 13:52:58

Have you tried speaking to a doctor as he could have referred you to a gynaecologist to have a look at the area. You shouldn't still be getting any pain. You need to do this asap so something can be sorted i.e elected c section.

Nope haven't seen a doc, don't want anyone examining me. So I'm in a bit of a pickle!

CarCiKoTab Thu 05-Jun-14 14:11:07

But surely if you're still experiencing pain to that extent then you would prefer to have your mind put at ease. It's not a nice thing to be examined but you have to way up the odds 5 minutes worth of an examination or constant worrying and possibly unnecessary complications.

Well...actually it is worse for me to have the examination than put up with the pain which is why I haven't done anything yet. It was getting better so I was just giving it more time but thrn I got pregnant and now I'm 8 months gone and it's crept up on me!

CarCiKoTab Thu 05-Jun-14 14:26:48

Has something happened that has put you off?

Yes, lots but don't think that's relevant. Point is that I don't want to be examined so I'm not sure what to do. If I do give birth vaginally again and suffer worse tears because I'm not fully healed then things are going to get a lot worse for me.

CarCiKoTab Thu 05-Jun-14 14:58:56

Well no it's not in the sense I don't need to know the ins and outs and don't really want to but, I was just wondering why you wouldn't want to get it sorted that's why I asked. It's relevant in the sense that it explains why you don't want to get looked at which is fine but, I'm struggling to understand how else anyone can help you for the best.

Me too, don't know if anyone can help jist if someone has had the same issues maybe they had another VB and it was ok, or how to go about asking for a CS, not sure if you can just request it.

Don't know, just worrying I guess!

CarCiKoTab Thu 05-Jun-14 15:58:49

Well I can understand that, not nice. Maybe you could try talking to your midwife just express your concerns and how you don't want it to be looked at but your worried it will cause problems? Maybe suggest or refuse to give birth via vaginal delivery. I do think though that if you're still having issues you should speak to somebody about it like a doctor...I don't think you should still be having problems 2 years after.

You have every right to worry.

ROARmeow Tue 10-Jun-14 13:26:14

With DC1 I had bad 2nd degree tear - took about 2 hours for her to stitch it, and ended up healing badly with granulation scar tissue. Sort of healed lumpy with scabby bits inside the scar.

I had bit of pain when sitting in some positions, although wasn't sore during sex unless it was too rough. This lasted for 2 years including my pregnancy with DC2.

All during 2nd pregnancy I worried about this as I was worried about the scar tissue getting worse. I'd been referred to have the scar tissue cauterised off and allow it to re-heal when DC1 was 6 months old but I chickened out.

Consultants all during DC2's pregnancy were useless at putting my worries at ease, just sort of shrugged it off.

During DC2's labour I requested that I be cut as I didn't want to tear again. Midwife cut me along the scar line and it was stitched within 15 minutes.

Healed so much better and I think it 'fixed' the dodgy scar tissue from first time round.

DC2 is now 2 years old and I do have a few aches in the area, but nothing terrible or worse than I've heard other people complain of.

Sorry that's an essay blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now