Risk of PPH with second delivery?

(8 Posts)
Bumpylady Mon 12-May-14 20:35:09

Hi, I had a 1.2l pph with first birth and am now pregnant again. Am keen for a c section for various reasons connected with first delivery but is there a greater risk of pph?

I had pph with my first and was offered a syntocin drip with my 2nd. Was there any reason found for the pph? Mine was fibroid related (which is why there was a risk again).

Mrsrochesterscat Mon 12-May-14 20:52:35

I had PPH with both, due a clotting problem. The second time round we knew what to expect so were better prepared. They had extra drugs on hand, some clotting stuff (too long ago to remember what it was) and blood ready so I recovered within hours rather than weeks.

The problem that caused PPH meant that a cesarean would be more dangerous than natural birth.

You should be under the care of a consultant following a previous PPH, what does s/he say?

bakingtins Mon 12-May-14 20:59:41

This site is helpful re relative risk factors. You are at x 3 risk having had a previous PPH, x 2 with a planned Csection and x 4 with an emergency one. (I'm not sure if that means a ELCS after a prev PPH would be X6?)
Baseline risk for the general population is 4-7% depending on which study you look at. I had a 2.2L PPH due to retained placenta last birth, have found it comforting to know it's only about 12-21% chance of it happening again rather than thinking it's inevitable. I have had a chance to talk through my previous notes with an obstetrician and come up with a plan for this time - you should be offered this opportunity in third trimester so you will have chance to discuss it all with them.

Geraldthegiraffe Mon 12-May-14 21:01:14

I had a huge PPH (over 3litres) and was told a C section would be out/ try to be avoided as it would be a higher risk in my case.

Bumpylady Mon 12-May-14 21:06:27

Thanks all, I'm not sure the reason (early days so will ask consultant at meeting) but had 3c tear so think this may have been a factor.

Fresh01 Mon 12-May-14 21:35:05

I had a just over 1 litre PPH with DC1. It was due to her tearing my cervix on the way out.

Since then I have had 3 more natural deliveries with no PPH. But they didn't allow me to be in a shower or bath during labour so they could monitor blood loss. They also put a cannula in my hand in the early stages of labour each time so that if they needed to they could get fluids in quickly.

Try and find out if someone could look back at your files to see if they can see a reason for the PPH.

owainsmum Sat 17-May-14 11:06:14

I had a massive pph when ds was born (7.2 litres), and wanted a nice water birth for dd. turned out I had placenta previa so my only option was to have elcs. I was a bit worried because CS has higher pph risk, and placenta previa does to, but dd was born on Tuesday and I only lost 700ml of blood. So the risks are higher with a CS but I have proof that it can go well too (and I have a beautiful little girl to show for it smile)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now