Post C- section checklist

(20 Posts)
johull Sat 10-May-14 22:30:42

Having section in 9 days- gutted about it and haven't planned for this at all. Can anyone suggest good bits and pieces to have for after to make life a bit easier as I appreciate it's going to be very difficult.

Thanks.

stinkypants Sun 11-May-14 07:57:53

C sections are honestly fine - have had 2 and the second was planned. You are less tired than would be after hours and hours of labour. The main thing in the first few days will be plenty of help and ensuring you take the medication properly / regularly - they gave me a list / grid and got me to do it all myself but my head was all over the place and I kept forgetting to take it so would end up in lots of pain as had left it so long - think I was on 3 different tablets. Also be aware that the codeine makes you feel a bit spaced out!
You will not be able to drive for about 4 weeks so having people around is a real help.
From what I remember you will be pretty mobile within a day or two, and they get you up and walking to the toilet by the following morning.
Please, please make sure you wear the support socks to avoid a blood clot.
But honestly - it was fine - got to hold my baby straight away and was having skin to skin within about half an hour I think.
Hope it all goes well for you.

ohdearitshappeningtome Sun 11-May-14 08:03:59

I had a section 4 weeks ago and it was a general anaesthetic, I was up about mobile after 8 hours. All very calm, got to meet the "theatre team" while waiting for anaesthetic to work!

Take regular pain killers, don't forget your granny pants, little and often mobilisation! Take comfy clothes!

The best thing about having your section is the first shower afterwards!!

Good luck

DaffodilsandTruffles Sun 11-May-14 08:06:44

Big over the bump pants that won't rub on the wound.

AmandinePoulain Sun 11-May-14 08:09:00

I've had 2 - one emergency, one semi emergency (it was planned for 39 weeks but I went into labour at 37) and you'll be fine! I was up and about within 24 hours for dd1 and 12 for dd2, home after 48 hours for dd1 and 30 for dd2, and looking after them alone within a few days. I drove after 4 weeks second time round (I waited 6 weeks for dd1 because that's what I was told, I felt I could have far earlier), and was out pushing the pram and taking the bus far earlier than that. Honestly, it's fine!

My tips would be - nightie not pjs in hospital because of the scar and catheter, big knickers, take your painkillers (they tried to fob me off with paracetamol after dd2, I insisted on diclofenac) and probably the hardest thing for the first few weeks is getting up out of bed so get help for that. Once up though I was fine smile

Good luck smile

theborrower Sun 11-May-14 16:29:17

High waisted soft cotton knickers are a must! I recommend this to everyone.

Yes to the nightie in hospital rather than pjs.

For home - either a changing table or just temporarily use the changing mat on a table as bending will be difficult.

Take your painkillers to keep in top of it - I was on several, plus iron, plus trying to remember when I fed baby last, so a wee chart on the fridge for writing down times was useful.

FaFoutis Sun 11-May-14 16:36:06

CS are fine, don't worry. I have had 3 and actually enjoyed them.

I would say beware the gas pains, they are the worst bit. Try to avoid solid food for a while afterwards (12 hours or so) and you should get away with it. Yoghurt is good.

Yoga trousers and granny pants for afterwards
Shower stuff you can hang up in the hospital shower as bending down is murderous
Flip flops as you might have madly puffy feet
Get your bikini top line done in advance so they midwives don't try to do it with a dry Bic razor!
Set up a sooper comfy baby-snuggling/feeding/tv watching station at home with good chair, side table, tv remote, kindle/ipad etc
If you feel well and want to drive before 6 weeks is up book yourself a docs appt with good time so you can get officially signed back on to drive to avoid any insurance issues.
Take your painkillers, eat well, and it'll all be fine! Is it your first? Exciting times!

Tea1Sugar Sun 11-May-14 19:06:40

I had one 26 days ago and it was absolutely fine. Don't even notice my scar now. Take straws to help drink, have peppermint tea bags in your bag for gas pains and get up walking as soon as your catheters out

PisforPeter Sun 11-May-14 19:10:10

All good advice as above, I enjoyed mine. If you have a more positive attitude you will recover better. X

johull Sun 11-May-14 21:39:59

Hello all abd thank you for your ideas. I have made a list if things to get- I didn't realise gas would be a problem but will now make sure I M prepared. Yes this Is my first. My dd Is breech and my waters have already gone- went at 31 weeks and am 32 now. Hoping the consultant will book me in for the 34 week period. He is very keen I don't go into labour before hand- I have now been in hospital for 5 days they admitted me during the week due to lack of fluid around baby. Thanks again for all advice. I've got 2 weeks left so will keep checking x

Meglet Sun 11-May-14 22:03:42

Eat light before and after the op. The drugs can be constipating and you really don't want to feel bloated and bunged up with a healing section scar, I had a miserable time with it after my EMCS. I found soups and herb teas suited me best before and after my planned section.

loz4babes Sun 11-May-14 23:30:43

Firstly, hope all goes well for you in hospital right now. I've had 4 sections - recovery was very similar with each of them - but beware, after about 10 days or so you feel like you can physically conquer the world but if you then overdo it you will pay the price by feeling very sore the next day! Just TAKE IT EASY - something women aren't always very good at - I chose to look on those first couple of weeks as being cocooned at home with my baby & family .... loved it, let people help you & just enjoy the most precious & special time x

comeawaywithme Tue 13-May-14 13:23:55

You might have seen this thread already, but there are loads of good tips here for both before and after a c-section. Hope everything goes well!

bonzo77 Tue 13-May-14 13:38:13

hi johul, <waves from other fred>.

I had (and used)
Packet of Tena pants in large. they soak up the lochia, and then you can just rip the sides and pull them off. much easier than messing about with pads if you are tender.
Big black pants. get "full briefs" in 2 sizes up from your pre-pg size.
Maternity pads: boots do nice thin ones with wings.
Mini sizes of toiletries
towel
flip flops for shower.
slippers
comfy lounging about trousers (I had pj pants)
dressing gown. if you can find one which is not white which also had a zip or buttons or velcro that won't just fall open that is extra useful.
Nursing bra: your milk might come in while you are still in hospital. From your previous thread it sounds like your baby might be in NICU, so you will be asked to hand express colostrum for her NGT.
Nice snacks: you will probably be in for 3 nights with a first CS, and if your baby is in NICU and there is a bed free you might be able to stay longer if you want to. You might end up missing meal times if you are doing kangaroo care on NICU.
Phone charger.
Sounds daft, but I took make up and felt better for it.
size 0 nappies, tiny baby clothes

Pack a spare bag to leave at home with more pants, night and day clothes. nappies, baby clothes so your DH does not have to guess what you need if you run out.

In terms of recovery, take it easy, but really, mobilising as soon as the epidural wears off and making sure to sit / stand upright rather than hunched makes a big difference. After my first I really spent several days just in bed holding the baby and was in quite a lot of pain, after my second the baby was in NICU so I had to get up to walk and see him. My recovery was much faster.

johull Tue 13-May-14 13:45:02

Incredible list thanks so much!! Yes baby girl will be in hospital for a white you're quite right. The spare bag at home is a brilliant idea especially as I asked my DH for more underwear during my recent stay and he bought a non-maternity bra!! It was folded so he got 'confused'. Bless :-)

bonzo77 Tue 13-May-14 13:56:01

oh... I just thought of one more thing. Probably baby will go to nicu while you are being sewn up. I sent DH with, I didn't want DS2 being out of our sight! It meant I was alone in the operating theatre and recovery, but actually I had a nice snooze and the nurses were very attentive. I got terrible shakes and was quite cold, that's quite common I hear, so speak up if that's how you feel, they can give you a lovely blanket filled with hot air to make you lovely and cozy. And the catheter is fab: no wee breaks for at least 12 hours: such a relief after weeks of weeing every half hour!

Just seen your latest updates, (as a fellow PROMer) good luck. Hope they look after you both well. x

MyDarlingClementine Tue 13-May-14 14:21:54

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=arms+reach+co+sleeper+mumsnet&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=4BpyU773Lau10QW-yIGIDQ

Get one of these cots, it was a life saver, unless you are planning on co sleeping anyway.

look around, ebay, local ads and so on...i got mine for 70 and was best baby thing i have ever brought, there are smaller co sleepers too, they hold their value so you can re sell.

it means at night, you are not sitting up, putting strain on wound, eliminates twisting and turning,.....baby is happy as so close etc et.

husband brought m and s microwave meals in for me, and made them as food was beyond awful.

syrup of figs for constipation...and lots of taking it easy and help for first two weeks at least, do NOTHING even if you feel you can. no bending to pick washing up etc...

air the wound for as much as possible every day when dressing is off...lie down flat and let air get to it.

MyDarlingClementine Tue 13-May-14 14:26:57

Its not going to be that difficult, I think unless your un lucky, as long as you take it easy, air the wound and rest you will be fine, problems come with wound infection, doing too much etc.

Once everything had healed, I was in better shape after section than normal labour.

Oh and in case no one has mentioned a v pillow, or nursing pillow, i found this in valuable, has so many uses, good prop up in bed, you can lay it on your legs in bed and change baby on it...I also used mine to the tuck the baby into it so we could sleep together ( both imobile in hospt bed) and rest it on you when feeding so baby not lying on scar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now